Richard Amero Balboa Park Collections
THE RICHARD AMERO COLLECTION
The Richard Amero Collection (MS 76) consists of over 250 binders primarily detailing the history of Balboa Park, including the 1915 and 1935 expositions. The collection contains book, newspaper and magazine articles, research notes, government reports and correspondence obtained from numerous sources. Other subjects include Mission San Diego de Alcala, Old Town, Mission Bay, Horton Plaza, Native Americans, architecture and local history. Also included are biographical files on well-known individuals including opera singer Schumann-Heink, landscape architect Samuel Parsons, architect Frank P. Allen, Jr. and aviation pioneer Glenn Curtiss.
The Richard Amero Collection (MS 76) can only be accessed on site in the Research Archives.
Richard Amero wrote extensively for over fifty years on the history of Balboa Park. In addition to the physical collection described above, see below for articles on individual buildings in Balboa Park and related prominent individuals, as well as unpublished histories of both Expositions.
Also included below is a collection of Richard Amero’s historical research notes on Balboa Park, including summaries of newspaper articles and transcripts of other pertinent documentation from 1900 to 1999, arranged year-by-year.
For more information: firstname.lastname@example.org or 619-232-6203 ext.117
Search our online catalog for archival collections, architectural drawings, books, ephemera files, maps, oral histories, scrapbooks, serials and unpublished manuscripts. Online Catalog
MS 76 Richard Amero Collection (finding aid)
BALBOA PARK BUILDINGS
Balboa Park Club / New Mexico Building
Casa de Balboa Building
Casa del Prado Building
Home Economy Building
House of Hospitality
House of Charm
Science & Education Building
Spreckels Organ Pavilion
Kate Sessions and Balboa Park
Samuel Parsons and Balboa Park
Panama-California Exposition 1915-1916
California Pacific International Exposition 1935-1936
Irving Gill’s role in the design of the Administration Building