The San Diego History Center is committed to attracting, developing and retaining a highly qualified workforce and to providing a work environment where all employees, volunteers and interns are encouraged to reach their highest potential and are valued and recognized for their contributions to fulfilling our mission. The History Center is an equal opportunity employer, dedicated to a policy of non-discrimination in employment on any basis including age, sex, color, race, creed, national origin, religion, marital status, sexual orientation, political belief or disability.
Current Employment Opportunities
Located in the heart of Balboa Park, the San Diego History Center, one of the oldest and largest non-profit history institutions on the West Coast, seeks a full-time (40 hours per week) Executive Assistant to join our team to support the Executive Director and Director of Advancement. This is not an entry-level position but requires experience, discretion and the flexibility and agility to juggle multiple competing projects and priorities at any one time, while meeting deadlines. Excellent written, organizational and public interaction skills are required. Occasional nights and weekends required. Salary range is $45,000- $55,000 annually and benefits include company paid health, dental and insurance plans for the employee, as well as Paid Time Off and 401k.
Skills and Qualifications:
- Proven experience as an Administrative Assistant (this is not an entry-level position).
- Advanced interpersonal skills with the ability to build positive business relationships and to work well with all levels of internal management/staff, trustees and external partners
- Proven ability to handle confidential information with discretion
- Adaptable to various competing demands while demonstrating the highest level of service, support and diplomacy
- Proficiency in MS Office (Word, Excel, Outlook and PowerPoint)
- A reliable, self-starter with a professional demeanor and who is able to meet deadlines.
- Experience with Blackbaud Altru, as well as an understanding of the San Diego philanthropic landscape is a plus
- Answering and managing incoming calls, taking messages
- Acting as the point of contact between the Directors and internal/external constituencies,
- Recording, transcribing and distributing minutes of meetings
- Drafting and routing correspondence; initiating telecommunications
- Developing/maintaining office and filing systems to ensure the smooth flow of information and record keeping, including electronic and hard copy files
- Producing reports, presentations and other communications
- Managing electronic calendars
- Updating the constituency tracking database and other rosters/lists
- Assisting with event planning and providing on-site event support as needed
- Contributing to overall institutional success by accomplishing additional duties as assigned
Director of Advancement
Director of Advancement (PDF): The San Diego History Center, with locations in Balboa Park and in Presidio Park seeks a driven, entrepreneurial fundraiser to join our committed team.
The Director of Advancement must be passionate and results driven – to not only ask, but receive the commitment of the time, talent, and investment of the community. Key to the success of this position will be successfully stewarding long-time supporters while cultivating new avenues of financial support for the History Center.
With an understanding of the San Diego regional philanthropic landscape, the ideal candidate must approach the case for support, across philanthropic relationships and fundraising activities, creatively from new and exciting perspectives for an institution positioning itself for the future.
The Director of Advancement will lead a talented team of development professionals responsible for the History Center’s individual giving, annual membership, and grant writing as well as fundraising events. A successful candidate will possess proven success at fundraising by developing and implementing strategic fundraising plans and team management while multitasking a high level of activity including managing executive- and Board of Trustees relationships. Desired skills include working knowledge of all aspects of fundraising & donor relations; advanced written and interpersonal communication skills; and strong project/program management skills.
Compensation is commensurate with experience and includes employer-sponsored medical and dental benefits for employees. Working from the Balboa Park site, this position requires flexible hours including occasional evenings and weekends.
To apply, email Letter of Interest, resume and three professional references to firstname.lastname@example.org with DIRECTOR OF ADVANCEMENT in the subject line. The San Diego History Center is an equal opportunity employer.