The Explorers, 1492-1774
TRANSLATION: De Anza Diary
. . . at sunset I arrived at the Presidio of Tubac, which is the one in my charge. Here I requested Reverend Fray Juan Diaz, the one who has made the observations in our transit, to show on a map what we have done, in order to give an idea to his Excellency, the Viceroy, of the routes, villages, and other particulars which we have noted. Friday, May 27, at twelve o’clock today, the rest of the caravan, which I left behind, arrived at this presidio. Herewith the expedition has come completely to an end, with the successes and advantages which are set forth in the foregoing document, wherefore may the Lord of Hosts be blessed and praised – From Monte Rey to the presidio of Tubac, 294 leagues.
Today, the 13th of November, 1774, 1 made this copy to deliver on the same day to his Excellency, the Viceroy, Governor, and CaptainGeneral in this City of Mexico, into whose hands likewise I have delivered the map which has been mentioned.
Juan Bautista de Anza
On the 24th day of December, 1774, a certified copy was made from the original of this diary with which to make a report to his Majesty.
Translated by Brig. Gen. Maurice G. Holmes, USMC, Ret.
Return to Books.
Ch. 1. Before the Explorers
Ch. 2. The Early Explorers
Ch. 3. The Story of Cabrillo
Ch. 4. The First to Arrive
Ch. 5. Sebastian Vizcaino
Ch. 6. Padres Lead the Way
Ch. 7. Fray Junipero Serra
Ch. 8. Expeditions by Sea
Ch. 9. Expeditions by Land
Ch. 10. Portola Goes North
Ch. 11. The Cross is Raised
Ch. 12. Anza Finds the Way
Ch. 13. Settlement at Last
1. Historiae Verdadera of Bernal Diaz del Castillo
2. Relation of the Voyage of Cabrillo
3. Informacion of 1560
4. Father Ascension’s Account of the Voyage of Sebastian Vizcaino
5. Diary of Sebastian Vizcaino
6. Palou’s Historical Memoirs of New California
7. Costanso’s Narrative of the Portola Expedition
8. Diary of Vicente Vila
9. Diary of Junipero Serra, Loreto to San Diego, March 28-July 1, 1769
10. Diary of Don Gaspar de Portola
11. De Anza Diary
12. Father Garces’ Diary
13. Record of Voyage by Francisco de Ulloa