History of San Diego, 1542-1908
PART FIVE: CHAPTER 3: Later Journalism and Literature [Changes in the Second Edition]
Editor’s note: The second edition (1908) of Smythe’s History of San Diego contained an additional page of images between pages 490 and 491. Those images and changes in the text on pages 490-493 follows below.
Mr. Julian began the publication of the San Diego Daily New,s in 1875, and continued it until April 9, 1882, when it was purchased, by the Sun company.
The Sun first appeared on July 19, 1881. Mrs. Charles P. Taggart originated the enterprise. Horace Stevens, Fred C. Bauer and Robert Campion served as editors or managers.
Mrs. Taggart disposed of her interest to A. Wentscher, Edwin Parker, Horace Stevens, Dr. T. C. Stockton and C. P. Gerichten. The first office of the Sun was in a small frame building on the east side of the plaza, where the Schmitt Block now stands.
In 1886 Warren Wilson of San Bernardino purchased the Sun, and in December of the same year the paper was established in the Sun building on the Plaza, built by him and now owned by Nathan Watts. In February, 1889, Wilson sold the Sun to Walter G. Smith, now of Honolulu, and W. E. Simpson, the money being furnished by the California National Bank. The purchasers turned the property back to the bank in January, 1891, and Dr. D. Gochenauer was appointed general manager. The failure of the California National Bank in November of that year resulted in the Sunbeing thrown upon the market, when it was again purchased by Warren Wilson, who in turn sold it on June 3 to Paul H. Blades and E. C. Hickman, the money being furnished by E. W. Scripps, the millionaire newspaper publisher. Mr. Scripps had just come to San Diego from his home in Cincinnati, on a visit, and was persuaded to invest in the Sun at the request of his cousin. the late Mrs. Fanny Bagby Blades. From this nucleus has grown the entire Scripps league of western newspapers, now covering every important city on the Coast.
In November, 1892, the Sun purchased the San Diegan, being merged under the title of San Diegan-Sun. With the San Diegan was secured the services of Mr. F. D. Waite as editor, who until recently remained as editor of the paper, and is still a member of the staff as associate editor. The Sun has had various business managers, most, of whom are now identified with the Scripps properties on the Pacific Coast and elsewhere. In March, 1901, Mr. Scripps purchased the interests of Blades and all others in the Sun, and transferred a half ownership to himself and the other half to Mr. W. H. Porterfield, which ownership has continued to the present time. For several years past Mr. Porterfield has been engaged in the management of other Scripps properties in Northern California, and the active business management of the Sun has devolved upon H. E. Rhoads. Mr. C. A. Mc Grew, formerly of the New York Times, is editor. The Sun is independent in politics, with Democratic leanings in national campaigns. Early in this year (1905) the Sun Company moved into its new horse, a handsome brick building on Seventh and B Streets. As illustrating the growth of San Diego, the statement is made that the Sun‘s business has quadrupled in the past five years.
The San Diegan was established by J. M. Julian, E. J. Bacon, and Julian Regan, in 1885, as a Democratic organ, and four years later sold to Chaffee, Sullivan & Waite, who remained the owners until the consolidation with the Sun in the fall of 1892.
The next paper established, in point of time, was the Daily and Weekly Bee. The Bee Publishing Company was incorporated in November 1887, by Wm. F. Hutton, Will H. Gould, Thomas J. McCord, Harry A. Howard, and Thomas L. Fitch. The company had been organized in the spring by Messrs. Benjamin & Cothran, and had for its editors a Mr. Zeigenfuss, and Mrs. Clara S. Foltz. The Bee was a live paper, while it lasted. It was absorbed by the Union, in December, 1888.
Return to Books.
HISTORY OF SAN DIEGO
PART ONE: Period of Discovery and Mission Rule
- The Spanish Explorers
- Beginning of the Mission Epoch
- The Taming of the Indian
- The Day of Mission Greatness
- The End of Franciscan Rule
Priests of San Diego Mission
PART TWO: When Old Town Was San Diego
- Life on Presidio Hill Under the Spanish Flag
List of Spanish and Mexican commandants
- Beginnings of Agriculture and Commerce
List of Ranchos in San Diego County
- Political Life in Mexican Days
- Early Homes, Visitors and Families
- Pleasant Memories of Social Life
- Prominent Spanish Families
- The Indians’ Relations With the Settlers
List of Mission Indian Lands
- San Diego in the Mexican War
- Public Affairs After the War
- Accounts of Early Visitors and Settlers
- Annals of the Close of Old San Diego
- American Families of the Early Time
- The Journalism of Old San Diego
- Abortive Attempt to Establish New San Diego
PART THREE: The Horton Period
- The Founder of the Modern City
- Horton’s Own Story
- Early Railroad Efforts, Including the Texas and Pacific
- San Diego’s First Boom
- Some Aspects of Social Life
PART FOUR: Period of “The Great Boom”
PART FIVE: The Last Two Decades
- Local Annals, After the Boom
- Political Affairs and Municipal Campaigns
- Later Journalism and Literature [new material in second edition]
- The Disaster to the Bennington
- The Twentieth Century Days
- John D. Spreckels Solves the Railroad Problem
PART SIX: Institutions of Civic Life
- Churches and Religious Life
- Schools and Education
- Records of the Bench and Bar
- Growth of the Medical Profession
- The Public Library
- Story of the City Parks
- The Chamber of Commerce
- Banks and Banking
- Secret, Fraternal and Other Societies
- Account of the Fire Department
PART SEVEN: Miscellaneous Topics
- History of the San Diego Climate
- San Diego Bay, Harbor and River
- Governmental Activities
- The Suburbs of San Diego