These structures appear today much as they did in 1915.
Bertram Goodhue, chief architect for the exposition, personally designed the permanent California Quadrangle. The Piccirilli Brothers of New York City created casts of ornament on the tower and facade. Displays inside the California Building, just beyond the West Gate, documented the culture of the Maya Indians. In the central auditorium, huge palms provided a backdrop for reproductions of four stelae and two monoliths from Quirigua in Guatemala. Sculptured friezes by Jean Beman Smith and Sally James Farnham, and paintings of scenes from Maya life by Carlos Vierra, looked down from walls and balconies.