Cover image: Too Late, a painting by Charles A. Fries, in the collection of the Corcoran Gallery of Art in Washington, D. C., a gift of Mrs. Alice Fries King in memory of her father.
Page 4. This and other pictures herein by the famous artist, Otto Bettmann are from the book As We Were, Family Life in America 1850-1900, written by a one-time San Diego lawyer, Bellamy Partridge.
Page 6. This very rare photograph of Dr. D. B. Hoffman was taken in 1874.
(Top) The very popular Warners Hot Springs as it appeared in 1905. The bath house is center front. (Courtesy Title Insurance and Trust Company)
(Middle) This ad appeared in the Directory of San Diego and Vicinity, 1880-90.
(Bottom) A hotel, a New York Indian name and sure cures for anything, sold lots at Oneonta by the Sea. (The Glory Years by Richard Pourade)
Page 10. On-the road analysis. As We Were, Family Life in America 1850-1900
Page 11. A typical advertisement of the times using legal terminology to describe medical cures. (San Diego Union, May 1870)
Page 12. Wild claims for wonder drugs! (The Golden Era, September 1888)
Page 15. Five early San Diego physicians and five local judges. The latter are examples of the many lawyers who arrived in San Diego during the nineteenth century seeking health either for themselves or their family. Upper row, 1. to r., Dr. W. A. Winder, Dr. P. C. Remondino, Dr. D. B. Hoffman, Dr. T. C. Stockton, and Dr. G. P. Tebbetts; lower row, 1. to r., Judge B. I. Hayes, Judge J. D. Works, Judge W. T. McNealy, Judge George Puterbaugh, Judge W. A. Sloane. (Illustrated by Marion Hill Bressette, Archivist and Research Assistant, San Diego County Law Library.)
Page 16 A. Transcription and text enlargement
Page 16 B. Transcription and text enlargement
Page 17 C. In 1881 Dr. Fenn reported to the State Board of Health.
Page 17 D. 7/13,20/82, the county placed patients in the private hospital of Drs. Stockton and Remondino. It is apparent that the first report of the Superintendent of the County Hospital, 1889, Diez was in error as to the date of establishment in the valley—possibly a misprint of “1882”; A fine brick hospital was built at the north end of Front Street, above the valley, in 1903-04; Dedication of the structure that replaced it was on August 21, 1963.
Page 19. The Quarantine Station (about 1905) on Pt. Loma with North Island, Coronado, and Mexico in the background. (Courtesy Title Insurance and Trust Company)
Page 20. The smallpox excitement — vaccinating patients in the doctor’s parlor with virus taken directly from the animals. (As We Were, Family Life in America 1850-1900)