Izard Street? That’s right. I-z-a-r-d, spelled with one “z”. Whatever happened to it? Or for that matter, what became of Broadway, or Allison Street, or Hyacinth? All were once the names of streets in Pacific Beach, some of them now busy thoroughfares with screeching traffic. Today these street names are only relics of a forgotten period, buried in the obscurity of San Diego city and county records.
Nor are these streets the only ones whose names have disappeared from the map. The majority of Pacific Beach streets have had more than one name. It seems as if, through the years, the city fathers couldn’t make up their minds. But the changes were not born of caprice; there were good reasons. To understand the reasons, we must take a look at the history of Pacific Beach as a community within the limits of the City of San Diego.
Like many other areas of the city, Pacific Beach was conceived and born during that period of local insanity known as the Boom of the ‘Eighties. Two transcontinental railroads to Southern California having been finished, land developers and speculators moved in. The first subdivision map of Pacific Beach was platted and the land put on the market in October, 1887, by the Pacific Beach Company.1 Promoters of the new subdivision were D. C. Reed, A. G. Gassen, Charles W. Pauley, R. A. Thomas and O. S. Hubbell, who “cleared away the grainfields, pitched a tent, mapped out the lots, hired an auctioneer and started to work.”2 Curiously enough, the original map was not filed with the County Recorder until January 2, 1892, a fact which would have a later bearing on some street names.
The 1887 map included more than two square miles of territory, about half of it subdivided into city blocks and lots with streets designated, the other half divided into small acreages with few streets.3 The tract ran approximately two and a half miles east from the ocean, and a scant mile north from the northernmost curve of False Bay (now Mission Bay) to present-day Loring Street. An ambitious project this was for the entrepreneurs Reed, Gassen, et al, considering the fact that new subdivisions were sprouting like mushrooms all over the city and county — indeed, over all Southern California — and were competing for the speculator’s dollar.
Every new real estate venture had to have an “attraction” with which to lure buyers. Pacific Beach was amply blessed with attractions — plural. First, the Creator Himself had provided the Pacific Ocean, the shores of which, on the subdividers’ promotional map, were modestly labeled, “The Finest Beach in the World.” Beckoning to those more interested in horseflesh than human flesh (and anyway, how much human flesh could be seen on the beach in 1887?) there was the Race Track, with stables and grandstand. This was situated near the northeastern curve of False Bay.4 (The new Home Savings and Loan Association Building at the corner of Garnet Avenue and Mission Bay Drive occupies the most northerly fragment of the old Race Track grounds.) To attract the literati, there was the projected “San Diego College of Letters,” of which Harr Wagner and Rose Hartwick Thorpe were the imported superstars.5 Last but most important, there was a railroad connecting these attractions with each other and with the rest of San Diego, the San Diego, Old Town and Pacific Beach Railroad, which some time later was extended to La Jolla.
Although some of Pacific Beach’s attractions were short-lived, all but one contributed to the naming of the area’s streets. The Race Track, which faltered its way out of existence before 1900, left no imprint on street names.6 The College of Letters likewise lived a precarious existence until it closed as a school in 1897, but it had already lent the prestige of its name to the east-west street on which it faced-College Avenue.7 It was natural that the God-given ocean should bequeath its name to the nearest street, Ocean Boulevard, which, however, was not opened until 1905.8
One of the most troublesome street problems later to arise was that left by the San Diego, Old Town and Pacific Beach Railroad after its demise. The line entered the beach area from the northeast and cut a diagonal southwesterly swath past the Race Track and through six city blocks, eventually entering Grand Avenue and proceeding west to the ocean. The naming of the diagonal street once traveled by the railroad has been a continuing source of confusion, never completely resolved between city authorities and map makers.9 In addition, the traffic lanes which today cross each other at scissors-shaped intersections take their toll, at the very least, in motorists’ shattered nerves.
But back to 1887 and Messrs. Reed, Gassen and associates. They laid out streets in checkerboard fashion, not allowing for the contours of the land even in the northeastern hills of the area. With gay abandon and singular lack of originality, they named north-south streets 1st, 2nd, 3rd, etc., ignoring the prior existence of these numbered streets in downtown San Diego. First Street was on the west, where Mission Boulevard now lies. Seventeenth Street was at the eastern end of the tract. The only deviation from the numerical sequence was a street inserted between 8th and 9th Streets, running parallel to them named Broadway. That street today is Ingraham, but it has known several name-changes in the interim.10
East-west streets on the 1887 map began on the south, two blocks from the head of False Bay, with Reed and Thomas Avenues obviously commemorating for posterity the names of two of the developers. Two other east-west streets were added later, south of Reed and closer to the Bay. Next came Grand Avenue, and it was properly named. It was 125 feet wide, and intended as the main east-west thoroughfare. Most other streets, including College (present-day Garnet) were eighty feet wide. It is ironic that the discontinuation in 1917 of the steam train which ran on 125′-Grand, apparently transformed Garnet into the main business street with today’s attendant traffic woes.11 North of Grand lay California, College, and then a continuing series of streets named for states. Alabama Street (present-day Diamond) marked the northerly end of blocks subdivided into city lots; beyond that lay acreages, with only a few streets which were named for states. The northernmost east-west street on the 1887 map was named Illinois, which bisected Pueblo lot 1784 through its acreages. This would later become Agate Street.
With the collapse of the Boom of the ‘Eighties in late 1888, Pacific Beach, like most other newly-sprouted communities, lay somnolent and partially deserted. Many people lost their property and moved away; a few in Pacific Beach turned to lemon farming. G. W. Brooks described that period: “[It was] a very happy life here in Pacific Beach. Pacific Beach was partially subdivided at that time. There were lemon orchards . . . and a lemon packing plant . . . for many years . . . [Then came] trouble with duty on [Italian] lemons, which killed the lemon business in Pacific Beach. [There were] more subdivisions . . . [and the] orchards were destroyed.” Mr. Brooks’ account mentions the year 1906, but there is newspaper evidence of lemon farming in Pacific Beach earlier than that.12
As the infant city of San Diego began to recover slowly from the Boom-and-Bust of the ‘Eighties, it became clear that there was an embarrassing number of duplications in street names within the city.13 Not that it mattered so much then. Nowadays Police and Fire Departments, Postal authorities and heaven-knows-how-many other agencies must approve a street name. Then, fire protection in Pacific Beach was nil; there was no fire station closer than La Jolla or Ocean Beach until 1934.14 As for postal service, Pacific Beach, like many other areas within the corporate limits of San Diego, had its own Post Office, independent of San Diego.15
Still it was a messy situation for a city to find itself in. There were no less than fifteen parts of town with numbered streets beginning 1st, 2nd, 3rd, and so on.16 California Street existed in at least six tracts.17 Other state names had been used in University Heights subdivision as early as August 6, 1888 and the map had been recorded then.18 Had the 1887 Pacific Beach map been recorded immediately, it would probably have taken precedence over the University Heights map of 1888, and state names been retained in the North Shore. Clearly, the whole thing needed to be tidied up.
The day of reckoning came in 1900. After what must have been considerable preliminary study, the San Diego Common Council passed a long omnibus ordinance which wiped out all numbered streets which duplicated those in downtown San Diego, and many streets with duplicate names as well. In Pacific Beach this affected every north-south street on the plat, and every east-west street except Reed, Thomas and Grand.19
San Diego had already adopted the excellent practice of naming streets in a given area alphabetically around a specific theme. There was the “tree series” downtown-Ash, Beech, Cedar, etc. In Mission Hills there was the “bird series” Albatross, Brant, Curlew, and so on.20 So in Pacific Beach the former numbered north-south streets were added to this system, and became an alphabetical series beginning with Allison on the west, and running on through Bayard, Cass, etc. The last such street was Randall on the eastern perimeter of the tract. But what was the common denominator for all those street names from Allison to Randall as designated in 1900? What was the theme? Obviously they were surnames, but what relation did they have to each other? It was a perplexing question, but one which careful study and a flash of insight answered; these streets were named for statesmen, diplomats or politicians whose names were known in 1900.21
East-west streets were another matter. Only Reed, Thomas and Grand could be retained. So new names were chosen from precious stones, also arranged in alphabetical sequence. The difficulty was that in 1900, few streets had been laid out north of Alabama Street (present-day Diamond). This was acreage country. Thus when it was subdivided into blocks, lots and streets at a later date, the alphabetical sequence of precious stones could not be kept intact. This explains the seemingly haphazard naming of east-west streets between Diamond and Agate.
Thus we come to individual streets in Pacific Beach. Because they are better known today by their current rather than historic names, we will list them in that way and give the history of each. We will consider only those streets in the area shown on the 1887 map or areas into which some 1887 streets later projected. The hill streets in the northeast portion of the beach have no direct lineal relationship to the 1887 map-many have been resurveyed and laid out much later — and will not be included. Crown Point, not on the 1887 map, and some low-lying areas created recently by dredge-and-fill, likewise will not have their streets included.
Ocean Boulevard was first mentioned in 1905 in a two-block subdivision put on the market by Union Title and Trust Insurance Company north of Diamond and facing the ocean.22
Mission Boulevard, originally 1st Street on 1887 map, was changed to Allison in 1900,23 and later changed again to Mission Boulevard in 1929.24 William Boyd Allison, 1829-1908, was a four-term Congressman from Iowa, then a five-term U.S. Senator and chairman of important Senate Committees. He was called “a national institution” at the time of his death.25 Mission Boulevard, established in 1914 to run the north-south length of Mission Beach, connected later at its north end with Allison Street. The popularity of Mission Beach during the 1920s gave more prominence to the name, Mission, than to Allison. Allison Street was eclipsed and became a continuation of Mission.26
Bayard, Cass, Dawes and Everts had been, respectively, 2nd, 3rd, 4th and 5th Streets on the 1887 map, and were all changed in 1900.27 Thomas F. Bayard, 1828-1898, was variously a Senator from Delaware, Secretary of State under President Grover Cleveland, and ambassador to Great Britain. Lewis Cass, 1782-1866, was Secretary of State under President James Buchanan and later minister to France. Henry L. Dawes, 1816-1903, was a U.S. Representative from Massachusetts for nearly twenty years, then a U.S. Senator, who conceived the idea of the U.S. Weather Bureau. William M. Evarts, 1818-1901, was Attorney-General under President Andrew Johnson and Secretary of State under President Benjamin Hayes. (Everts Street is a misspelling.)
Fanuel Street is another misspelling, unfortunately perpetuated. Originally 6th Street in 1887, it was changed to Fanuel in 1900.28 Faneuil Hall in Boston was built as a public market by Peter Faneuil, 1700-1743. The building, gutted by fire in 1761, was rebuilt, and became “The Cradle of Liberty” for pre-Revolutionary American patriots. What a linguistic nicety it would be if Fanuel Street in Pacific Beach could be restored to its proper spelling in 1976 as a Bicentennial project!
Gresham and Haines were 7th and 8th Streets on the original map, and changed in 1900.29 Walter Quintin Gresham, 18321895, was Postmaster-General, later Secretary of the Treasury under President Chester Arthur, and Secretary of State under President Grover Cleveland. As for Haines, several men by that name were politically active in different generations. Lynn Haines, 1876-1929, though not an office-holder, was well known as a publicist, editor and press correspondent in Washington, D.C.
Ingraham Street has a checkered history! One hundred feet wide, it was exceeded in width only by Grand. In 1887 it was named Broadway. The 1900 ordinance altered it to Izard, which, rhyming with gizzard, lizzard and blizzard and sounding harsh to the ear, apparently did not “set well” with the inhabitants.30 In 1907 it was changed back to Broadway, but in 1913, when downtown “D” Street was renamed Broadway, Pacific Beach had to relinquish its Broadway, which was renamed Ingraham, more euphonious than Izard.31 Both Izard and Ingraham were statesmen. Ralph Izard, 1741-1804, was a Revolutionary patriot and a confidant of George Washington. He is buried at St. James Church in Goose Creek, South Carolina. Duncan Ingraham, 1802-1891, a Naval officer, is credited with averting American involvement in the Hungarian uprising of 1848-1849. Another name change involved Ingraham Street as late as 1930, when its northwestern projection which joined Turquoise was renamed Foothill Boulevard.32
Jewell, Kendall, Lamont, Morrell, Noyes, Olney and Pendleton Streets were platted in 1887 as 9th, 10th, 11th, 12th, 13th, 14th and 15th, and have undergone only one change, that of 1900.33 Marshall Jewell, 1825-1883, was a governor of Connecticut and later Postmaster-General under President U.S. Grant. Amos Kendall, 1789-1869, a Kentuckian, was a follower of President Andrew Jackson, and Postmaster-General in his Cabinet. Daniel Scott Lamont, 1851-1905, was a colorful figure. A college dropout, he worked his way up through the ranks of politics until he went to Washington with President Grover Cleveland as private secretary. Newsmen were told, “See Lamont.” He later became Cleveland’s Secretary of War. Morrell Street is a misspelling of Morrill, of whom there were a number politically active. Lot M. Morrill, 1812-1883, was a U.S. Senator, and Secretary of the Treasury under President U.S. Grant. Justin S. Morrill, 1810-1898, was a U.S. Congressman and Senator from Vermont for a total of forty-four years, and his name is connected with the Land Grant College Act. Noyes Street, also has several possible origins. The most likely is Edward Follansbee Noyes, 1832-1890, who was at first Governor of Ohio, then a minister to France. As for Olney, the street was probably named for Richard Olney, 1835-1917, who was first Attorney-General, then Secretary of State under President Grover Cleveland. Pendleton takes its name from George Hunt Pendleton, 1825-1889, who was a Congressman from Ohio for eight years, a minister to Germany, and a U.S. Senator from Ohio.
Quincy and Randall, on the 1887 map as 16th and 17th, north of the Race Track, exist today only in short fragments. Like the other numbered streets, they were renamed in 1900. Because of the terrain, however, they were not built up early. A block-long segment of Quincy exists today opening south off Grand Avenue, and another short section in the hills north of Garnet runs between Wilbur and Beryl Streets. Randall, also, exists only in the hill section, between Beryl and Loring Streets. As for the naming of Quincy Street, there is an impressive list of Quincys, four of whom in successive generations were named Josiah. Josiah Phillips Quincy, 1829-1910, was the son of a mayor of Boston and a writer in political fields, including anti-slavery and taxation. Randall street probably took its name from Alexander W. Randall, 1819-1872, who was “Civil War governor” of Wisconsin and a friend of President Andrew Johnson.
Thus ended the north-south streets on the 1887 map. Several generations would pass before the northeastern hill area would be developed, and the lowlands of the southeast section would be filled in and built up. Crown Point, too, would be a later real estate project.
Although the 1887 developers concentrated their residential lots in the southern half of the Beach, the renaming ordinance of 1900 began at the north and worked south. It is easier to follow their sequence by doing the same:
Agate Street, listed on the 1887 map as Illinois, was the only east-west street through Pueblo Lot 1784. P. L. 1784 itself was an excrescence protruding northward from all the rest of the Pacific Beach tract. Illinois was renamed to Agate, the beginning of the precious-stones series, in 1900.34
Turquoise, Sapphire and Tourmaline Streets, not on the 1887 map, were first mentioned in 1904. Although they represented an attempt to continue the gemstones series, they could not be fitted into the alphabet, because all the letters through “h” had already been used in 1900, and lay farther south.35
Opal Street, not on the 1887 map, was originally named Hyacinth in 1904, in the same ordinance as Turquoise, Sapphire and Tourmaline. Why the same developer would name three streets for precious stones and the next for a flower is anybody’s guess. The name was changed to Opal in 1935, because Hyacinth Drive had existed for several years in Loma Portal.36
Loring and Wilbur Streets, not on the 1887 map, appeared on several subdivision maps in 1904. Loring was named in the same ordinance as Turquoise, Sapphire and Tourmaline. Wilbur made its first appearance four months later on a map prepared by a developer named Stough. No clue to the origin of the two names is found in city records or in current events of the period. A local Loring family was in business in downtown San Diego in 1904, but it seemed to have no connection with Pacific Beach.37
Beryl Street, originally Georgia on the 1887 map, was changed to Beryl in the 1900 ordinance, and became the second in the precious-stones series.
Law Street, not on the original 1887 map, first appeared on Stough’s subdivision map along with Wilbur in 1904. Stough himself could have told us why Law and Wilbur were so named, but he did not, and there is no sound basis even for conjecture.38
Chalcedony Street, was originally Idaho on the 1887 map. The change to Chalcedony made it the third in the 1900 alphabetical series based on gem-stones. See actual text with pronunication
Missouri Street is a real puzzler. Not on the original 1887 map, it was first named in Hauser’s Subdivision in 1904.39 However, Missouri Street in University Heights had been indicated since 1888, and normally would have taken precedence over the 1904 upstart. The former Missouri in University Heights is 32nd Street today.40
Diamond, Emerald, Felspar, Garnet and Hornblend were on the 1887 map as Alabama, Vermont, Massachusetts, College, and California Streets. They were all changed to the precious-stones series in 1900. Felspar is correctly spelled as Feldspar in only one place, a promotional map issued in 1926 which attempted to change the name of the beach to “San Diego Beach,” rather than “Pacific Beach.”41 (Garnet, as well as Chalcedony, has a locally favored pronunciation: See actual text with pronunication
Grand Avenue was the widest street on the 1887 map. However, on that map the portion of Grand lying east of 11th Street (Lamont) was named Ivy Avenue, while Grand itself skittered northeast over present-day Balboa. Ivy Avenue in Pacific Beach continued in its use until 1935, when it became a continuation of Grand, and the diagonal fragment became Balboa, a name extended today westward from the Clairemont area.42
Thomas and Reed Avenues are original names from the 1887 map. As noted earlier, they appear to have been named for two directors of the early Pacific Beach Co., R. A. Thomas, and D. C. Reed.43
Oliver Avenue did not appear on the 1887 map. Oliver J. Stough filed a number of small subdivision maps of Pacific Beach in 1904. The first mention of Oliver is on one of these. Could Stough have used his given name as a street name rather than his more difficult-to-pronounce surname?44
Pacific Beach Drive, the street nearest to False Bay (Mission Bay) was not on the 1887 map. It first appears on a map in 1904 as Pacific Avenue.45 The Nettleship-Tye map of 1926 repeats it as Pacific Avenue, but in the early ‘Thirties, sentiment was growing in favor of changing downtown Atlantic Street to Pacific, which would necessitate a change in the Pacific Beach street.46 Accordingly, on April 24, 1935, Pacific Avenue in Pacific Beach was changed to Braemar Avenue, a name derived from the subdivision nearby.47 A mere two months passed before the name was changed again, this time to Pacific Beach Drive. The same ordinance changed the name of Atlantic Street in downtown San Diego to Pacific Highway.48
Thus we have the story of most of Pacific Beach’s street names, with the exception of some streets created at a much later date. But those fall into more recent history, and could be a story in themselves.
Oh, yes. Izard Street. Remember it — it rhymes with gizzard, lizard and blizzard? If not, try Ingraham; it’s there!
Acknowledgment is made of the gracious help of the following persons: Rhoda Kruse, Senior Librarian, San Diego Public Library, California Room; Louise Blea, Deputy Clerk, San Diego City Clerk’s Office; George Rousseau, Intermediate Clerk, San Diego County Recorder’s Office, Map Division; Margaret Evans, Library Assistant, San Diego History Center Library; Larry Booth, Curator, Historical Collection, Title Insurance & Trust Co., San Diego.
1. Pacific Beach, San Diego, Cal.; subdivided for the Pacific Beach Co. October 1887, by H. K. Wheeler, C. E. Map #697, San Diego County Recorder’s Office. Hereinafter cited as 1887 Map #697.
2. Depew, M. V. “Pacific Beach had its own race track 40 years ago . . .” San Diego Sun, February 2, 1931, p 11.
3. Pacific Beach . . . subdivided by the Pacific Beach Co., October 1887. This is a promotional variant of the legal map in the Recorder’s Office. It shows more original Pueblo Lot numbers, and indicates the complete subdivision of Pueblo Lots #1793, 1794, 1795 and 1796, and the acreage subdivision of Pueblo Lots #1784, 1789, 1790 and 1792. Pueblo Lot # 1791, although surrounded by the aforementioned Pueblo Lots, was not included, leaving a “checkerboard” effect in 1887. This variant map is found in San Diego Public Library, California Room.
4. Located in a portion of Pueblo Lot #1797. San Diego Union July 20,1887, p. 3.
5. Harr Wagner was paid $5,000 to move his Golden Era Magazine to San Diego from San Francisco. He called Rose Hartwick Thorpe here from San Antonio to help in the publicity campaign for Pacific Beach and the San Diego College of Letters. Information from: Granstaff, Viola. Harr Wagner, California educational publicist; a dissertation in partial fulfillment for the degree, Doctor of Education, University of California at Los Angeles, Dec. 1956. Dissertation on temporary loan to San Diego Public Library, California Room, July 1975.
6. Amended map of Pacific Beach, #791… filed… Dec. 29, 1894 wipes out both the Race Track and the “Depot Grounds” at the foot of Reed St., but Map #854, Amended Trustees’ map… to close up the affairs of the Pacific Beach Co. in an Equitable manner . . . May 14, 1898, shows the Race Track and a very small Depot Grounds. Both maps in San Diego County Recorder’s Office. The Index to the San Diego Union in San Diego Public Library, California Room, mentions the racing season there for the last time in October, 1890; thereafter it mentions efforts to sell the track, which were completed in September, 1903.
7. Pacific Beach Sentinel, February 12, 1958. San Diego Public Library, California Room. Clipping in Vertical File: Pacific Beach.
8. Map # 943, Blks. 117 and 154, Pacific Beach . . . accepted by the Common Council . . . March 23, 1905. San Diego County Recorder’s Office.
9. Today’s map shows this diagonal street as Balboa, beginning at Morrell and continuing east-northeast without a break through Pacific Beach and Clairemont. On the street itself, however, signs designate the diagonal street as Balboa from Morrell only as far as Balboa’s merger with Garnet; thence Garnet east through Pacific Beach and under the overpass at Interstate 5 into Clairemont, where it again becomes Balboa.
10. 1887Map #697.
11. Clipping, “10th of a series,” article by Floyd McCracken, probably from the Evening Tribune, but undated and undocumented. San Diego Historical Society Library, Vertical File: Transportation – Railroads – General. Personal interview with Mrs. George Evans by the author, October 1, 1975. Mrs. Evans, who grew up in Pacific Beach, graduated from San Diego High School in 1923 and rode the bus back and forth to school. The earliest buses to Pacific Beach were privately owned and operated under contract with the city or school district. They traveled out Morena Boulevard to Garnet and west on Garnet.
12. Personal interview, George Waddell Brooks, 2354 Garnet, Pacific Beach, September 7, 1960, Edgar F. Hastings. San Diego History Center Library.
13. Population in 1890, 16,159. Census statistics from San Diego Public Library, California Room.
14. La Jolla’s Hose Co. #1 was established March, 1907, and mechanized as Engine Co. #13. August 19, 1915. Ocean Beach’s Engine Co. #15 was established March 24, 1915. Pacific Beach’s Engine Co. #21 was established January 6, 1934. Information from Capt. William Gibb, Information Officer, San Diego Fire Department, 1975.
15. The Post Office at Pacific Beach was established June 9, 1888, and discontinued December 31, 1941, when it became a station of San Diego. Information from Frickstad, Walter N., comp. A Century of California Post Offices, 1848-1954. Oakland: The Author, 1955. p. 154. San Diego Public Library, California Room.
16. Ordinance 755, May 21, 1900. Microfilm 3.4, San Diego City Clerk’s Office.
17. Ordinance 599, February 7, 1899, and Ordinance 755, May 21, 1900, Microfilm 3.4, San Diego City Clerk’s Office.
18. University Heights; Map #558, recorded August 6, 1888. San Diego County Recorder’s Office.
19. Ordinance 755. loc. cit.
20. San Diego City Directory, 1899-1900, comp. by Fisher, Ward & CO. p.3.
21. I stalked this puzzling question through the Index to the San Diego Union in San Diego Public Library, California Room; through World Almanacs; and the Dictionary of American Biography. It was in the last-named work that I found the only thread of consistency: someone by each of these eighteen names, living before 1900, had been a statesman of national fame whose name was well enough known to be remembered in a street name.
22. Map #943. loc. cit.
23. Ordinance 755. loc. cit.
24. Ordinance 12157, February 11, 1929. San Diego City Clerk’s Office.
25. Dictionary of American Biography. Edited by Allen Johnson. New York: Scribner, 1928-1944. Subsequent information on statesmen in this article was taken from the Dictionary of American Biography or the Encyclopedia Americana.
26. Map of the Subdivision of Mission Beach . . . June, 1914. Map #1651, San Diego County Recorder’s Office.
27. Ordinance 755. loc. cit.
28. Ordinance 755. loc. cit.
29. Ordinance 755. loc. cit.
30. Ordinance 755. loc. cit.
31. Ordinance 2912, June 3, 1907; Ordinance 5247, September 2, 1913; and Ordinance 5417, June 12, 1914. San Diego City Clerk’s Office.
32. Ordinance 12834, May 12, 1930. San Diego City Clerk’s Office.
33. Ordinance 755. loc. cit.
35. Ordinance 1626, June 27, 1904, Reed’s Ocean Front Addition. San Diego City Clerk’s Office.
36. Ordinance NS705, July 9, 1935, Map #941. San Diego City Clerk’s Office.
37. Ordinance 1626. loc. cit. Map #931, Acre lots 17, 18, and 35 . . . October 12, 1904. San Diego County Recorder’s Office. San Diego City and County Directory, 1904. San Diego Directory Co., 1904. p.301.
38. Research was done on Law, Loring and Wilbur Streets through the Index to the San Diego Union, San Diego City Directories, and the Dictionary of American Biography, without finding a clue. The names may have had personal meaning to the developers, or may have been given arbitrarily.
39. Hauser’s Subdivision, Ordinance 1731, September 19, 1904. San Diego City Clerk’s Office.
40. Map #558, University Heights. loc. cit.
41. Map of San Diego Beach (formerly Pacific Beach), San Diego, California. c1926 by Folsom Bros.; published by Folsom Bros. for Nettleship-Tye Co. 1214 5th Street, San Diego, San Diego, California. In San Diego Public Library, California Room, cataloged as LRCC 912.79498, Folsom Bros.
42. Ordinance NS705. loc. cit.
43. Golden Era Magazine November, 1887, pp.680-683.
44. Stough’s Subdivision Map. #922, filed August 17, 1904. San Diego County Recorder’s Office.
46. Map of San Diego Beach (formerly Pacific Beach) loc. cit.
47. Ordinance NS650, April 24, 1935. San Diego City Clerk’s Office.
48. Ordinance NS693, June 25, 1935. San Diego City Clerk’s Office.
Zelma Bays Locker graduated from Drake University, Des Moines, with a degree in Education, and earned a M.L.S. degree at Pratt Institute Graduate School of Library Science, Brooklyn. From 1933 to 1967 she was employed by the San Diego Public Library serving as Senior Librarian in charge of the California, Newspaper and Genealogy Room at the Central Library from 1954 until her retirement in 1967. She served on the Board of Directors of the San Diego History Center during 1968-74 and was Secretary of the Board 1970-1974. She is a member of various historical societies and currently serves as Church Historian for the Central Christian Church, San Diego. In 1974 she won the Louis Stein Place Names Award at the San Diego History Center’s Annual Institute of History for her paper entitled “From Aspin to Zanzibar: Street Names in San Diego’s Mission Beach” which was published in this Journal in the Spring 1975 issue. She won the same award at the 1975 Institute of History for the paper which is published here.
Illustrations associated with this article are provided by the author and the Historical Collections, Title Insurance and Trust Co., San Diego.