Fall 1977

October 1, 1977

The Journal of San Diego History
SAN DIEGO HISTORICAL SOCIETY QUARTERLY
Fall 1977, Volume 23, Number 4
James E. Moss, Editor
Thomas L. Scharf, Assistant Editor

Original Articles

Mission Cliff Gardens
By Beverly Potter
In Places Men Reject: Chinese Fishermen at San Diego, 1870-1893
By Arthur F. McEvoy
Remember Old Number Sixteen? Recollections of the La Jolla Street Car Line
By Zelma Bays Locker
The Modern Boston Tea Party: The San Diego Suffrage Campaign of 1911
By Marilyn Kneeland
James McCoy: Lawman And Legislator
By Susan Sullivan
Mystery Man of Ocean Beach
By Rhoda E. Kruse

Book Reviews

The Long Trail: How Cowboys and Longhorns Opened the West
By Gardner Soule. Reviewed by Charles S. Peterson
The Life, Influence and the Role of the Chinese in the United States, 1776-1960: Proceedings/Papers of the National Conference held at The University of San Francisco, July 10, 11, 12, 1975
Chinese Historical Society. Reviewed by Roger Daniels
Years of Infamy, the Untold Story of America’s Concentration Camps
By Michi Weglyn. Reviewed by David V. DuFault
Kate Sessions: Pioneer Horticulturist.
By Elizabeth C. MacPhail. Reviewed by Avery H. Gallup
Tour Guide to the Old West
By By Alice Cromie. Reviewed by Troy Jordan
The Expedition of Capt. J. W. Davidson From Fort Tejon to the Owens Valley in 1859

Letters

Letter to the Editor

History Quips & Clips

A Western Historian
Yesterday in San Diego

On the Cover

cover image

VIEW FROM MISSION CLIFF GARDENS

The breath-taking view of Mission Valley and the surrounding mountains beyond is one of the reasons Mission Cliff Gardens became a popular San Diego attraction at the turn of the century. The cover photograph, made in the 1890’s, shows a somewhat wind-blown couple surveying the countryside while perched near a cliff side gazebo. On exceptionally clear days visitors were treated to a panoramic scene of the San Bernardino and San Jacinto ranges to the north and the sparkling blue waters of the Pacific to the west.

Mission Cliff Gardens first opened under the management of the San Diego Cable Railway Company and was initially called The Bluffs. Later, John D. Spreckels purchased the site, redeveloped it, and changed the name to Mission Cliff Gardens. It became a much frequented end of the line attraction for his San Diego Electric Railway Company. At its height, Mission Cliff Gardens featured a walk-in bird aviary, a large lily pond, a miniature Japanese garden, plus seemingly endless garden paths meandering through brightly colored flowers, plants and trees.

San Diego History Center Photograph