A Momentous 100 Years images
April 1, 1982
A MOMENTOUS 100 YEARS
Page iv. Russ School was constructed in 1882 with donated lumber.
Page iv. The “new” San Diego High School opened in 1907 and served the city for over sixty years.
Page 78. A group portrait of San Diego High School faculty, c. 1910. Miss Elizabeth Freeze, front row left, would later become girls Vice-principal; and Mr. B. O. Lacey, third row left, would serve as head of the Science Department until the early 1940s.
Page 78. This rather salty group of young ladies were members of the “White Caps,” a crew in the girls rowing club about 1901. Rowing for girls was done mainly for fun with little emphasis on competition.
Page 80. The first group portrait of the San Diego High School baseball team to appear in print was published in the first “Commencement Number” of the Russ in May 1899.
Page 80-81. The last graduating class from the old Russ School in 1907.Photographed by San Diego photographer H.R. Fitch, the students were seated on bleachers near the construction site of the new San Diego High School.
Page 83. The handsome football team of 1903. Note the letter “R” on their jerseys for Russ School.
Page 84. The San Diego High School faculty in 1923 standing on the steps of the “Old Grey Castle.”
Page 84. Girl students from San Diego High School marching in the 1923 Armistice Day Parade.
Page 84. The vine-covered walls of the “Old Grey Castle” as they appeared in 1937.
Page 86. Students busy with assignments are photographed in Study Hall, 1927. The “sailor” uniforms were a requirement of the dress code.
Page 87. A portion of the San Diego High School band poses in 1946.