The Journal of San Diego History
SAN DIEGO HISTORICAL SOCIETY QUARTERLY
Spring 1988, Volume 34, Number 2
Thomas L. Scharf, Editor
- Bungalow Courts in San Diego: Monitoring a Sense of Place.
- By James R. Curtis and Larry Ford.
- Leslie and Melicent Lee: Artist, Author and Friends of the Indian.
- By Bruce Kamerling.
- The Railroad Stations of San Diego County: Then and Now.
- By James N. Price.
- Harold Bell Wright: Storyteller to America.
- By Lawrence V. Tagg. Reviewed by Raymond Starr.
- It’s a Long Road to Comondú.
- By Everett Gee Jackson. Reviewed by Raymond Starr.
- Early California Reflections: A Series of Lectures Held at the San Juan Capistrano Branch of the Orange County Public Library.
- Edited by Nicholas M. Magalousis.
- The Mapping of the American Southwest.
- Edited by Dennis Reinhartz and Charles C. Colley.
- The War Against the Seals: A History of the North American Seal Fishery.
- By Briton Cooper Busch
- Post Offices in the United States in 1890.
- Edited by James D. Bennett.
- Images of a Golden Era: Paintings of Historical California.
- By Ben Abril.
- The Decoration of the California Missions.
- By Norman Neurburg.
- Race and Manifest Destiny: The Origins of American Racial Anglo-Saxonism.
- By Reginald Horsman.
- National Parks: The American Experience.
- By Alfred Runte.
- Inside La Jolla, 1887-1987.
- By the La Jolla Historical Society.
- Our Family, Out Town: Essays on Family and Local History Sources in the National Archives.
- Compiled by Timothy Walch.
- Cañon de los Artistas.
- By Austin Deuel.
- Made in Aztlan.
- Edited by Philip Brookman and Gullermo Gómez-Peña.
- A Short History of Crystal Pier.
- By John Fry.
- A Short History of Pacific Beach.
- By John Fry.
- Carlsbad: An Unabashed History of the Village by the Sea.
- By Charles Wesley Orton.
- Generations and Change: Genealogical Perspectives in Social History.
- Edited by Robert M. Taylor, Jr. and Ralph J. Crandall.
- California Mission Bibliography.
- Compiled and edited by Francis J. Weber.
Downtown San Diego’s elegant mission style railroad station as it looked shortly after its construction in 1915 (it replaced an earlier station built in 1887). The Santa Fe Railroad proposed to raze the building in the early 1970s, but it has since been restored. An article in this issue of the journal traces the history of all of San Diego county’s railroad stations. Courtesy San Diego History Center Title Insurance and Trust Collection.