Landmarks

July 1, 1988

The Journal of San Diego History
SAN DIEGO HISTORICAL SOCIETY QUARTERLY
Summer 1988, Volume 34, Number 3
Thomas L. Scharf, Editor

Book Notes

Raymond Starr, Book Review Editor

Landmarks: A Survey of All Official Historic Landmarks in San Diego County

San Diego: County of San Diego, 1987. Illustrations. 33 Pages. Price Unavailable.

The County of San Diego has published a beautiful book on the officially designated landmarks of California’s oldest county. The book highlights seventy five sites chosen because they are within unincorporated areas, are owned by the County, or were designated landmarks by the Board of Supervisors in 1948-1951. These sites are noted with brief descriptions plus photographs, and include such sites as the Campo Stone Store, Mule Hill, the Mason Street School, Mission San Luis Rey, and Senlis Cottage. The remainder of the booklet is devoted to a listing of over 800 sites (by the governmental agency which designated them-usually a city, the county, or the National Register of Historic Places). Although it is inevitable that there be errors in such a large listing (for instance, it is the Verlaque House in Ramona which was designated; not the Verlaque Store) the list is still a very useful compilation. With the recent establishment of a county historic site board and even greater prospects for the preservation of San Diego’s historical heritage, this volume should receive a lot of use.