The Journal of San Diego History
SAN DIEGO HISTORICAL SOCIETY QUARTERLY
Spring 1996, Volume 42, Number 2
Richard W. Crawford, Editor
- The History of Hedges and the Cargo Muchacho Mining District Part I:
A Case Study of the Lives of Mexican Miners in a Company Town of the Southern California Desert
- By Stephen R. Van Wormer and James D. Newland
- A Talk with Bert Ritchey: An interview by Leonard Knight
- By Robert Carlton
San Diego Documents
- Helen Hunt Jackson to Ephraim W. Morse, November 3, 1883
- Edited by Valerie Sherer Mathes
- Cowboys of the Americas.
- By Richard W. Slatta. Reviewed by Clare V. McKanna, Jr.
- The Campo Indian Landfill War: The Fight for Gold in California’s Garbage.
- By Dan McGovern. Reviewed by Richard L. Carrico.
- A History of Alta California: A Memoir of Mexican California.
- By Antonio Maria Osio. Reviewed by Richard Griswold del Castillo.
- Mission Culture on the Upper Amazon:
Native Tradition, Jesuit Enterprise, & Secular Policy in Moxos, 1660-1880.
- By David Block. Reviewed by Roger L. Cunniff.
- A Harbor Worth Defending: A Military History of Point Loma.
- By Barry Alan Joyce.
- California in 1792: A Spanish Naval Visit.
- Translated and edited by Donald C. Cutter.
- Sonora: An Intimate Geography.
- By David Yetman.
- Lola Montez: The California Adventures of Europe’s Notorious Courtesan.
- By James F. Varley.
- Water in the Hispanic Southwest: A Social and Legal History, 1550- 1850.
- By Michael C. Meyer.
- Citadel on the Channel: The Royal Presidio of Santa Barbara, Its Founding and Construction, 1782-1798.
- By Richard S. Whitehead.