October 1, 1998
- Palomar, After 50 Years
- by Ronald Florence
- L. Frank Baum’s La Jolla: Halfway to Oz
- by Bard C. Cosman
- An Old Town “Gunfight”: The Homicide Trial of Cave Johnson Couts.
- by Clare V. McKanna, Jr.
- Witnesses to the Struggle: Imaging the 1930s California Labor Movement.
- By Anne Loftis. Reviewed by John Putnam.
- The Complete Writings of Kate Sessions in California Garden, 1909-1939.
- Edited by Barbara Schillreff Jones. Reviewed by Lucy Warren.
- Indian Women of Early Mexico.
- Edited by Susan Schroeder, Stephanie Wood, and Robert Haskett. Reviewed by Stephen A. Colston.
- Lawman: The Life and Times of Harry Morse, 1835-1912.
- By John Boessenecker. Reviewed by Richard Griswold del Castillo.
- Rethinking American Indian History.
- Edited by Donald L. Fixico. Reviewed by Alan Kilpatrick.
- Kit Carson: Indian Fighter or Indian Killer?
- Edited by R.C. Gordon-McCutchan. Reviewed by Raymond Starr.
- Contested Eden: California Before the Gold Rush.
- Edited by Ramon Gutierrez and Richard S. Orsi. Reviewed by Dr. Robert J. Chandler.
- A Mine of Her Own: Women Prospectors in the American West.
- By Sally Zanjani. Reviewed by Susan Gonda.
- Helen Hunt Jackson and her Indian Reform Legacy.
- By Valerie Sheres Mathes. Reviewed by Joanne Donahoe.