The Journal of San Diego History
SAN DIEGO HISTORICAL SOCIETY QUARTERLY
Spring 1999, Volume 45, Number 2
Richard W. Crawford, Editor
- Inventing Agriculture in Southern California
- By Matthew F. Bokovoy
- Marketing a Booming City in 1887: San Diego in the Chicago Press
- By Frederick G. Hoyt
- The Outposts of Mission San Luis Rey
- By Phil Brigandi
- Spectacular Nature: Corporate Culture and the Sea World Experience.
- By Susan Davis. Reviewed by Annalisa Berta.
- The Ecology of Fear: Los Angeles and the Imagination of Disaster.
- By Mike Davis. Reviewed by Matthew Bokovoy.
- Five Fires: Race, Catastrophe, and the Shaping of California.
- By David Wyatt. Reviewed by Matthew Bokovoy.
- “In the Mix:” Struggle and Survival in a Women’s Prison.
- By Barbara Owen. Reviewed by G. Thomas Gitchoff.
- Scattered Round Stones: A Mayo Village in Sonora, Mexico.
- By David Yetman. Reviewed by Philip J. Greenfeld.
- Last Bonanza Kings: The Bourns of San Francisco.
- By Ferol Egan. Reviewed by Michael Magliari.