The Journal of San Diego History
SAN DIEGO HISTORICAL SOCIETY QUARTERLY
Fall 2000, Volume 46, Number 4
Gregg Hennessey, Editor
- Hillcrest: From Haven to Home
- By Michael E. Dillinger
- Photographic Essay of Hillcrest
- Edited by Gregg R. Hennessey
- The Persian Water Rug Fountain: Balboa Park’s Lost Treasure
- By Parker H. Jackson
- Historical Society Accessions ~ 2000
- Annual Journal Index ~ 2000
- Wyatt Earp: The Missing Years, San Diego in the 1880s
- By Kenneth R. Cilch and Kenneth R. Cilch, Jr. Reviewed by Alexander D. Bevil.
- Scoundrel’s Tale: The Samuel Brannan Papers.
- By Will Bagley. Reviewed by John Putman.
- Salt Dreams: Land and Water in Low-Down California.
- By William deBuys. Reviewed by Philip R. Pryde.
- Mission Memoirs: A Collection of Photographs, Illustrations, and Twentieth-century Reflections on California’s Past.
- By Terry Ruscin. Reviewed by James A. Sandos.
- Encinitas: History and Heritage.
- By Mac Hartley. Reviewed by Diane C. Kennedy.
- Balboa Park: A Millennium History.
- By Roger M. Showley. Reviewed By Vonn Marie May.
- The Fruits of Natural Advantage: Making the Industrial Countryside in California.
- By Steven Stoll. Reviewed by Matthew F. Bokovoy.
- The Way We Really Were: The Golden State in the Second Great War.
- Edited by Roger W. Lotchin. Reviewed by Lawrence B. de Graaf.
- Echoes From Lane Field: A History of the San Diego Padres, 1926-1957.
- By Bill Swank. Reviewed by Todd Tobias
- Virgil Earp: Western Peace Officer.
- By Donald Chaput. Reviewed by Alexander D. Bevil.
- The History of the Marine Corps Recruit Depot, San Diego.
- By the Marine Corps Recruit Depot Museum Historical Society and Meredith R. Vezina. Reviewed by Robert M. Witty.
- American Indians and National Parks
- By Robert H. Keller and Michael F. Turek.
- The Ancestral.
- By Carol Clark Cunningham.
- Son of the South Come West: El Cajon’s First “Mayor.”
- By James Harris Graves.
- A Land in Motion: California’s San Andreas Fault.
- By Michael Collier.
- An Uncommon Mission: Father Jerome Tupa Paints the California Missions.
- Text by Holly Witchey.
- Picturing Paradise.
- By D. Scott Atkinson, Jennifer Luksic, and Sara E Bush.
- The Newspaper Indian: Native American Identity in the Press, 1820-90.
- By John M. Coward.