The Curatorial Department received 1342 artifacts from 40 donors. Included in that total were 883 photographs from the National Park Service that were created in the 1930s under the Works Progress Administration – Federal Art Project. The photographs were of artifacts in the Society’s collection that were then at the Serra Museum. The images and documentation were created to assist the designers and planners of the Western Museum Laboratory. The photographic records of the artifacts were used to provide accurate information to create paintings, models, dioramas and publications for museums in the National Parks.
Other notable additions to the Curatorial Collections include:
• Stone carving/sculpture, souvenir of the 1916 Exposition; donor was 4 years old when she was allowed to choose a carving for her souvenir.
• Painting, portrait of Dr. Thomas Stockton, painted, ca. 1865-70; established first private hospital in San Diego at Columbia & F Streets; one of the organizers of the San Diego County Medical Society in 1870
• Silver medal, 1935 Exposition, awarded to Edna Ernst
• Painting, Maurice Braun, “Balboa Park From the California Tower,” late 1914
• Painting, Maurice Braun, “Autumn Colors”, 1915-1925; both paintings donated as a result of seeing the special issue of the Journal of San Diego History, Southern California Landscape exhibition
• 4 paintings by Everett Gee Jackson
• San Diego Trust and Savings Bank bronze building plaque; from bank building on 6th’ and Broadway.
• Arts & Crafts style oak china cabinet San Diego trolley items
• U.S. Navy uniforms (WWII era) belonging to and worn by Russell V. Grant; both enlisted and officer; including several uniform items that were left in original packaging and in military style folding
• Painting, Maurice Braun, “California Tower”, 1915.
• Arts & Crafts style china set, ca. 1919, Syracuse China
• Mission Trails Regional Park, ranger’s uniform
• Women’s hats, accessories, suits, shoes.