The Journal of San Diego History
SAN DIEGO HISTORICAL SOCIETY QUARTERLY
Winter/Spring 2004, Volume 50, Numbers 1 & 2
Iris H. W. Engstrand & Molly McClain, Editors
- Front Matter
- by Dr. Mary E. Lyons
- Una Casa del Pueblo—A Town House of Old San Diego
- by Victor A. Walsh
- El Congreso in San Diego: An Endeavor for Civil Rights
- by Carlos M. Larralde
- The Rancho Tía Juana (Tijuana) Grant
- by Antonio Padilla Corona; translated by Paul Bryan Gray
- The Development of Spanish-language Television in San Diego: A Contemporary History
- by Kristin C. Moran
- Book Reviews
- End Matter
- Complete Journal Issue (without covers) 1.9 Mb
Front cover: Los Charros del Pueblo by Alfredo Ramos Martínez. 1946:9. San Diego Museum of Art (Museum Purchase).
Back Cover: Los Novios (The Sweethearts) by Alfredo Ramos Martínez. 1968:80. San Diego Museum of Art (Museum purchase with funds provided by the Latin American Arts Committee).
Mexican artist Alfredo Ramos Martínez (1872-1946) painted several exceptional fresco murals in San Diego including El Día del Mercado, first displayed in Coronado in 1938 at La Avenida Café, and now displayed at the newly renovated Coronado Public Library. It was donated to the City of Coronado by Gus and Barbara Theberge in 1994. The San Diego Museum of Art owns seven works by Ramos Martínez, including the oil paintings on the front and back cover of this issue of The Journal of San Diego History. We are grateful to Derrick Cartwright and the San Diego Museum of Art for permission to use these images.
September 15 through October 15 has been designated “Hispanic Heritage Month.”
Publication this year of The Journal of San Diego History has been partially funded by a generous grant from the Quest for Truth Foundation of Seattle, Washington, established by the late James G. Scripps.
Funding for this issue of The Journal of San Diego History has been provided by Peter Janopaul, Anthony Block and their family of companies, working together to preserve San Diego’s history and architectural heritage.
Publication of this issue of The Journal of San Diego History has been supported by a grant from The Journal of San Diego History Fund of the San Diego Foundation.
The San Diego History Center is able to share the resources of four museums and its extensive collections with the community through generous support from the following: City of San Diego Commission for Art and Culture; County of San Diego; foundation and government grants; individual and corporate memberships; corporate sponsorships and donation bequests; sales from museum stores and reproduction prints from the Booth Historical Photograph Archives; admissions; and proceeds from fund-raising events.
Articles appearing in The Journal of San Diego History are abstracted and indexed in Historical Abstracts and America: History and Life.
All material in the print and on-line versions of The Journal of San Diego History is protected by copyright, © San Diego History Center.