- Front and Back Matter
- “Sitting on the Dock of the Bay:” 100 years of Photographs from the San Diego History Center
- by Linda A. Canada
- San Diego’s Normal Heights: The Growth of a Suburban Neighborhood, 1886–1926
- by Suzanne Ledeboer
- Governor Robert W. Waterman, Waldo Waterman, and the Stonewall Mine, 1886-1891
- by Leland Fetzer
- “Your Affectionate Son, Robinson”: American Expansionism and the Life of Captain Abraham Robinson Johnston, 1815-1846
- by Steven L. Wright
- Museum Review Permanent Exhibition — Place of Promise: Stories of San Diego
- Book Reviews
- Complete Journal Issue 5.0Mb
- Errata in print version have been corrected for this on-line version
Publication of The Journal of San Diego History has been partially funded by generous grants from the Joseph W. Sefton Foundation; Quest for Truth Foundation of Seattle, Washington, established by the late James G. Scripps; and Peter Janopaul, Anthony Block and their family of companies, working together to preserve San Diego’s history and architectural heritage.
Publication of this issue of The Journal of San Diego History has also been supported by a grant from The Journal of San Diego History Fund of the San Diego Foundation.
Front cover: USA2, formerly FRA2, America3‘s first International America’s Cup Class (IACC) boat in San Diego, returning from ocean practice. Photo by Bob Griesser, 1991.
Back cover: The San Diego Yacht Club with San Diego Bay and skyline in the background. Photo by Bob Griesser, 1995.
Cover design: Allen Wynar
The San Diego History Center is able to share the resources of four museums and its extensive collections with the community through generous support from the following: City of San Diego Commission for Art and Culture; County of San Diego; foundation and government grants; individual and corporate memberships; corporate sponsorships and donation bequests; sales from museum stores and reproduction prints from the Booth Historical Photograph Archives; admissions; and proceeds from fund-raising events.
Articles appearing in The Journal of San Diego History are abstracted and indexed in Historical Abstracts and America: History and Life.
All material in the print and on-line versions of The Journal of San Diego History is protected by copyright, © San Diego History Center.