The Journal of San Diego History
Fall 2007, Volume 53, Number 4
Iris H. W. Engstrand & Molly McClain, Editors

Front and Back Matter
Sweet Dreams: The Showley Brothers Candy Factory, 1905-2007
Roger Showley
Reinventing Downtown San Diego: A Spatial and Cultural Analysis of the Gaslampo Quarter
Jordan Ervin
Dan Dickey: Mid-Century San Diego Artist
William Perrine
The Philanthropic History of Las Patronas
Book Reviews
Complete Journal Issue 5.0Mb

Publication of The Journal of San Diego History has been partially funded by generous grants from the Joseph W. Sefton Foundation; Quest for Truth Foundation of Seattle, Washington, established by the late James G. Scripps; and an anonymous friend and supporter of the Journal.

Publication of this issue of The Journal of San Diego History has also been supported by a grant from The Journal of San Diego History Fund of the San Diego Foundation.

front cover    back cover

Front Cover: Showley Brothers Candy Factory in its new location by Petco Park. Inset: Showley Brother’s candy truck ca. 1927.

Back Cover: National Candy Day, October 12, 1935, at the California Pacific International Exposition in Balboa Park. Left to right: Exposition host, B. Guy Showley, Guy R. Showley, and an unidentified candy distributor.

Cover design: Allen Wynar

The San Diego History Center is able to share the resources of four museums and its extensive collections with the community through the generous support of the following: City of San Diego Commission for Art and Culture; County of San Diego; foundation and government grants; individual and corporate memberships; corporate sponsorship and donation bequests; sales from museum stores and reproduction prints from the Booth Historical Photograph Archives; admissions; and proceeds from fund-raising events.

Articles appearing in The Journal of San Diego History are abstracted and indexed in Historical Abstracts and America: History and Life.

All material in the print and on-line versions of The Journal of San Diego History is protected by copyright, © San Diego History Center.