The Journal of San Diego History
San Diego History Center Quarterly
Summer 2010, Volume 56, Number 3
Iris H.W. Engstrand and Molly McClain, Editors
Theodore Strathman and David Miller, Review Editors

Examining California’s First Palm Tree: The Serra Palm

Heidi Trent and Joey Seymour

The Globe Players in Balboa Park

Darlene Gould Davies

The Trees of Balboa Park

Nancy Carol Carter

The Origins of Balboa Park: A Prelude to the 1915 Exposition

Iris Engstrand

Book Reviews

Exhibit Reviews

Front and Back Matter

Publication of The Journal of San Diego History is underwritten by a major grant from the Quest for Truth Foundation, established by the late James G. Scripps. Additional support is provided by “The Journal of San Diego Fund” of the San Diego Foundation and private donors

Cover: Earliest known sketch from the perspective of Presidio Hill showing the presidio ruins, Mission Valley, the San Diego River emptying into San Diego Bay, Old Town, and Point Loma drawn by William Birch McMurtrie, artist on board the U.S. Steamer Active on the Pacific Coast Surveying Expedition in July 1856. The sketch was probably colorized by the young James Madison Alden, a second artist on board the Active. Photo courtesy of the Bancroft Library, Berkeley.

Front Cover   Back Cover


San Diego History Center is able to share the resources of its museums and its extensive collections with the community through the generous support of the following: City of San Diego Commission for Art and Culture; County of San Diego; foundation and government grants; individual and corporate memberships; corporate sponsorship and donation bequests; sales from museum stores and reproduction prints from the Booth Historical Photograph Archives; admissions; and proceeds from fund-raising events.

Articles appearing in The Journal of San Diego History are abstracted and indexed in Historical Abstracts and America: History and Life.

All material in the print and on-line versions of The Journal of San Diego History is protected by copyright, © San Diego History Center.