The Journal of San Diego History
San Diego History Center Quarterly
Winter / Spring 2013, Volume 59, Number 1 & 2
Iris H.W. Engstrand and Molly McClain, Editors
Theodore Strathman and David Miller, Review Editors
Ernie Liwag and Matthew Schiff
Carlotta Falzone Robinson
Publication of The Journal of San Diego History is underwritten by a major grant from the Quest for Truth Foundation, established by the late James G. Scripps. Additional support is provided by “The Journal of San Diego History Fund” of the San Diego Foundation and private donors.
Front Cover: Logos from the San Diego Craft Beer Industry. Courtesy of the San Diego History Center.
Back Cover: Photo from Wells Fargo Since 1852 (2011), p. 11. Images produced by Wells Fargo Historical Services from Wells Fargo Corporate Archives, San Francisco, California.
The San Diego History Center is a museum, education center, and research library founded as the San Diego Historical Society in 1928. Its activities are supported by: the City of San Diego’s Commission for Arts and Culture; the County of San Diego; individuals; foundations; corporations; fund raising events; membership dues; admissions; shop sales; and rights and reproduction fees.
Articles appearing in The Journal of San Diego History are abstracted and indexed in Historical Abstracts and America: History and Life.
The paper in the publication meets the minimum requirements of American National Standard for Information Science-Permanence of Paper for Printed Library Materials, ANSI Z39.48-1984.
All material in the print and on-line versions of The Journal of San Diego History is protected by copyright, © San Diego History Center.