The Journal of San Diego History
San Diego History Center Quarterly
Summer 2013, Volume 59, Number 3
Iris H.W. Engstrand and Molly McClain, Editors
Theodore Strathman and David Miller, Review Editors
The Villa Montezuma Museum at 125: Surviving and Thriving with Friends of the Villa Montezuma
Charles Spratley and Louise Torio
Honorably Representing San Diego: The Story of the USS San Diego
Trails and Tales of Balboa Park
Linda Bradley Dowdy and Anne Stephens Vafis
A Pattern of Seismicity in Southern California: The Possibility of Earthquakes Triggered by Lunar and Solar Gravitational Tides
Publication of The Journal of San Diego History is underwritten by a major grant from
the Quest for Truth Foundation, established by the late James G. Scripps. Additional
support is provided by “The Journal of San Diego History Fund” of the San Diego
Foundation and private donors.
Front Cover: Watercolor painting of the Villa Montezuma by George T. Kern
(1921-2007) c. 1976. Courtesy of Phil Kern and the Friends of the Villa Montezuma.
Back Cover: Reproduction of a painting by Arthur Beaumont in 1944 titled “Confidential
Mission (U.S.S. San Diego).” Gift of the USS San Diego Reunion Association to the
San Diego Maritime Museum, Photo #15509.
The San Diego History Center is a museum, education center, and research library founded as the San Diego Historical Society in 1928. Its activities are supported by: the City of San Diego’s Commission for Arts and Culture; the County of San Diego; individuals; foundations; corporations; fund raising events; membership dues; admissions; shop sales; and rights and reproduction fees.
Articles appearing in The Journal of San Diego History are abstracted and indexed in Historical Abstracts and America: History and Life.
The paper in the publication meets the minimum requirements of American National Standard for Information Science-Permanence of Paper for Printed Library Materials, ANSI Z39.48-1984.
All material in the print and on-line versions of The Journal of San Diego History is protected by copyright, © San Diego History Center.