The Journal of San Diego History
San Diego History Center Quarterly
Fall 2013, Volume 59, Number 4
Iris H.W. Engstrand and Molly McClain, Editors
Theodore Strathman and David Miller, Review Editors

On the Road to San Diego:  Junípero Serra’s Baja California Diary

Translated and Edited by Rose Marie Beebe and Robert Senkewicz

The Vanished Tribes of Lower California

Edward H. Davis

San Diego Presidio Nomination Form

National Register of Historic Places United States Department of the Interior

Illustrating the Life of Father Serra

Iris Engstrand

EXHIBIT REVIEW:  Bottled and Kegged

Ernie B. Liwag


Front and Back Matter

Publication of The Journal of San Diego History is underwritten by a major grant from the Quest for Truth Foundation, established by the late James G. Scripps. Additional support is provided by “The Journal of San Diego History Fund” of the San Diego Foundation and private donors.

Front Cover: Statue of Father Serra with a Juaneño Indian boy in front of the Convent of San Francisco, Palma de Mallorca, Spain.

Back Cover: Detail from the altar in the Convent of San Bernardino, Petra, Mallorca, Spain.


The San Diego History Center is a museum, education center, and research library founded as the San Diego Historical Society in 1928. Its activities are supported by: the City of San Diego’s Commission for Arts and Culture; the County of San Diego; individuals; foundations; corporations; fund raising events; membership dues; admissions; shop sales; and rights and reproduction fees.

Articles appearing in The Journal of San Diego History are abstracted and indexed in Historical Abstracts and America: History and Life.

The paper in the publication meets the minimum requirements of American National Standard for Information Science-Permanence of Paper for Printed Library Materials, ANSI Z39.48-1984.

All material in the print and on-line versions of The Journal of San Diego History is protected by copyright, © San Diego History Center.