On-Call Event Staff
STATUS: Part-time, Non-Exempt (Hourly)
HOURS: On-call, frequent nights and weekends
REPORTS TO: Development Manager
DATE: February 2023
SUMMARY OF POSITION
Under the supervision of the Event Specialist, the San Diego History Center is seeking dedicated, flexible, on-call Special Events Staff. They will be responsible for assisting with the load-in and load-out of events, assisting in the set-up and breakdown of events, being onsite throughout the events and assisting in ensuring the safety of the guests and museums. This position requires the coordination of on-site activities, including working with vendors, clients and guests. The special event staff will be responsible at times for opening and closing the museum. Must possess excellent communication skills, be personable, professional, flexible and work well in a fast-paced environment. Hours are determined on an as needed basis. Nights and weekends required.
ESSENTIAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
- Reviews work order and becomes familiar with type of event, timeline, as well as diagrams for each location.
- Assists with set-up and break-down of events.
- Assists Event Specialist.
- Maintains museum presence while guests and vendors are on site or inside the facilities.
- Provides post-event feedback to the Event Specialist.
Museum Safety and Cleanliness
- Assists to ensure that Fire, City, Police, Park, Facility and Alcohol codes are being followed to ensure that the museum is operating within the law.
- Be prepared to evacuate guests if necessary.
- Works with building operations staff at the end of the event to ensure that all exhibit areas and items are returned to the regular set up for the museum to be open for operations the next day.
- Works with the food and beverage staff at the end of the event to ensure that all items are returned to their proper storage and all trash is removed.
Vendor Load-in and Load-Out
- Ensures that only the appropriate vendors have access to the loading areas.
- Stops unauthorized vendors and visitors of Balboa Park and/or Presidio Park from entering the museum during load-in and load out and for the duration of the event.
- Works closely with museum front line staff for easy transition of museum closing and event beginning.
- Be sure that all tables, chairs, work areas and all additional items are in the designated space both before and after the event.
Qualifications and Requirements:
Able to lift up to 25 pounds and stand up to 8 hours. Must have reliable transportation to and from the museum. Able to work early mornings, evenings, weekends and holidays. Must have reliable form of communication (phone, email) Able to communicate clearly in English Must be comfortable with being on-call Minimum of 1-2 years’ experience in event operations or in the event industry.
- Walking, sitting, squatting, standing, kneeling, balancing, manual dexterity, reaching above shoulders, grasping, pushing/pulling (15-60 lbs.), lifting (15-60 lbs.), carrying (10-60 lbs.)
- Climbing stairs, walking over varied terrain
- Repeated adjustments to varied lighting conditions and changing physical space conditions as would be expected in a museum setting; some spaces will have varied climate-controlled conditions
- Exposure to outdoor elements, on occasion
- Valid CA Driver’s License and reliable transportation with proof of liability insurance
SDHC believes that equal opportunity for all employees is critical to our continuing success. In accordance with state and federal law, SDHC will not unlawfully discriminate against any employee or applicant for employment on the basis of religion, race, color, national origin, ancestry, disability, marital status, gender, veteran status, sexual orientation, age, medical condition, registered domestic partner status, or any other basis protected by state or federal laws. Opportunity is provided to all employees based on qualifications and job requirements. When necessary, SDHC makes reasonable accommodations for disabled individuals who request an accommodation in accordance with state and federal laws.
This job description is not designed to cover or contain a comprehensive listing of activities, duties or responsibilities that are required of the employee. Other duties, responsibilities and activities may change or be assigned at any time with or without notice.
Please send cover letter and resume to Sheila Thomas, email@example.com.