Onsite Field Trip Programs
San Diego Before Statehood: Discover the changing shape of San Diego and the people and cultures who have affected our region. Learn map skills, explore San Diego’s natural resources, and compare historic primary sources with what you observe about your neighborhood today.
Stories of San Diego: Discover San Diego’s early beginnings and how the history of San Diego is reflected in our culture today by exploring the changes that have occurred here over time.
Scenes of San Diego: San Diego History through Fine Art: Explore pieces from the SDHC fine art collection using Visual Thinking Strategies. Engage in discussion and answer “What is San Diego” and “What does it mean to be a San Diegan?” and “How has San Diego changed over time?”
Mapping Balboa Park: Explore the buildings and features that form the foundation of the modern Park. Use the tools of a historian to learn about Balboa Park, then and now!
Gallery Highlights and Exhibition-specific tours
Self-Guided Museum Visit: Visit the museum during open hours and explore at your own pace!
Important information about programs from SDHC:
- A program request is not a confirmation of your program. Programs are confirmed after communication regarding date, time, and topic, and receipt of $10 reservation fee.
- The suggested per student fee is $5; grant funding for educational programs is available.
- Each virtual session and classroom outreach is approximately 45 minutes to 1 hour in duration and each onsite field trip is approximately 1 1/2 hours.
- Maximum capacity for programs is 25 students per session; multiple visits and sessions can be scheduled to reach all students.
- We require at least 1 adult per 8 students for grades K-8 and at least 1 adult per 10 students for grades 9-12.
All programs include optional pre- and post-session bridging materials and activities to enhance student learning. All programs combine whole group exploration, small group discussion, and individual reflection, with short brain breaks built in. We can customize programs to meet your students’ needs! Submit a request to start the conversation!