Junípero Serra Museum Welcome Center

June 22, 2017

Exhibition

Presidio Park


Presidio Park Landscape Plan, 1925 by John Nolen. Marston brought Nolen, a famed landscape architect and city planner, to San Diego to design Presidio Park. San Diego History Center Photo Collection 2600-54.

Plan del Paisaje de Presidio Park, 1925 por John Nolen. Marston trajo a Nolen, un famoso arquitecto paisajista y urbanista, a San Diego para diseñar Presidio Park. Colección Fotográfica del San Diego History Center 2600-54.

Junípero Serra Museum

Opening Day, Architecture and Site

The Royal Presidio of San Diego, encompassed within Presidio Park, lies just below the Junípero Serra Museum. It is a place of significance to the native Kumeyaay, to the soldiers who accompanied Father Serra to establish Mission San Diego de Alcalá in 1769, to their descendants, and to the residents and visitors of San Diego.

The Museum, a pure representation of Mission Revival architecture, fulfilled the dream of George White Marston. He spent 22 years preserving and developing the land to commemorate the site of the first Spanish foothold in what would become the State of California and City of San Diego. The terrace provides views of San Diego Bay and the Pacific Ocean beyond. From the tower, visitors can look over modern Mission Valley and the San Diego River toward its eastern headwaters. All are part of the San Diego River Conservancy’s watershed mission.

The terrace provides views of San Diego Bay and the Pacific Ocean beyond. From the tower, visitors can look over modern Mission Valley and the San Diego River toward its eastern headwaters. All are part of the San Diego River Conservancy’s watershed mission.

Museo Junípero Serra 

Día de la Inauguración, Arquitectura y Sede

El Royal Presidio de San Diego (Presidio Real de San Diego), incluido dentro del Parque Presidio, se encuentra justo abajo del Museo Junípero Serra. Es un lugar muy significativo para los indígenas Kumiai, para los soldados que acompañaron al Padre Serra a establecer la Misión de San Diego de Alcalá en 1769, para sus descendientes y para los residentes y visitantes de San Diego.

El Museo, una representación pura del resurgimiento de la arquitectura misional (Mission Revival) cumplió el sueño de George White Marston, quien pasara 22 años preservando y desarrollando estos terrenos para conmemorar el sitio donde los españoles se posicionaron por primera vez en el Estado de California y la Ciudad de San Diego.

La terraza proporciona vistas de la Bahía de San Diego y más a lo lejos del Océano Pacífico. Desde la torre, los visitantes pueden ver más allá del moderno desarrollo de Mission Valley y del Río San Diego hacia su cabecera en el este. Ambas ubicaciones forman parte de la misión de la organización San Diego River Conservancy.


George Marston at the dedication of Junípero Serra Museum, July 16, 1929.
San Diego History Center Photo Collection 17470-4-4.

George Marston en la inauguración del Museo Junípero Serra, julio 16, 1929.
Colección Fotográfica del San Diego History Center 17470-4-4.


William Templeton Johnson, Architect circa 1930. Designer of the Mission Revival style Junípero Serra Museum.
San Diego History Center Photo Collection 85: 15657.

William Templeton Johnson, Arquitecto. Hacia 1930. Diseñador del Museo Junípero Serra de estilo Mission Revival.
Colección Fotográfica del San Diego History Center 85:15657.

The museum’s architecture, designed by William Templeton Johnson, transformed Presidio Hill during construction. Johnson wrote: “The Museum is defined in close sympathy with the spirit of the missions, [which] all had thick walls…and a sturdiness and frankness in design that gave them much charm.”
La arquitectura del museo, diseñada por William Templeton Johnson, transformó el Cerro Presidio (Presido Hill) durante su construcción. Johnson escribió: “El Museo está diseñado para tener un afinidad cercana con el espíritu de las misiones [que] tenían paredes muy gruesas…y una solidez y franqueza de diseño que les otorgaba un especial encanto”.

Native People


Kumeyaay ewaas (huts) constructed by native descendants for the opening ceremonies of the Junípero Serra Museum on Presidio Hill in 1929. San Diego History Center Photo Collection 2600-29.

Las ewaas (chozas) Kumiai construidas por descendientes de estos indígenas para las ceremonias de apertura del Museo Junípero Serra en Presidio Hill en 1929. Colección Fotográfica del San Diego History Center: 2600-29.

Our First Inhabitants

It is generally agreed that approximately 12,000 to 15,000 years ago, peoples of Asia migrated across the Bering Strait either overland or by boats along the coast. About 3,000 years ago, cultural shifts and contrasts with other native peoples resulted in what are called the Kumeyaay of the Yuman culture and language. The Luiseno, Cahuilla, and Cupeño live in the northern part of San Diego County and speak languages from the Shoshonean linguistic family.

Nuestros primeros habitantes

Generalmente se concuerda que hace aproximadamente 12,000 a 15,000 años, algunos pueblos de Asia migraron hacia estas tierras por el Estrecho de Bering ya sea por tierra o en botes a lo largo de la costa. Hace cerca de 3,000 años, los cambios culturales y el contacto con otros pueblos nativos dieron como resultado a los Kumiai de la cultura y lengua yumana. Los Luiseños, Cahuilas y Cupeños viven en la parte norte del Condado de San Diego y hablan lenguas de la familia lingüística shoshonea.


Estevan Wypooke winnoweing grain, 1917. San Diego History Center Photo Collection OP 12550-10. Photo by E.H. Davis.

Estevan Wypooke separando el trigo de la paja, 1917. ©SDHC #OP 12550-10. Foto de E.H. Davis.

Kumeyaay villages were widespread in the San Diego area with the village of Cosoy at the base of Presidio Hill. The relocated mission site was the village Nipaguay. Kumeyaay lived in a complex system of overlapping and allied clans who came together in times of need or for common defense. Clans had specific territories where they hunted and harvested resources. Trading networks extended into the desert and north to the territories of the Luiseno, Cahuilla, and Cupeño, as well as south to the Pai Pai and Kiliwa.

The rounded homes called “ewaa” were the most common dwelling. They were usually framed with willow and thatched with brush or tule depending on the time of year. Boats were made with bundled reeds and were kept seaworthy enough for finishing in the off-shore kelp beds.

Las aldeas Kumiai se extendían por toda el área de San Diego, siendo la aldea de Cosoy la que se encontraba en la base de Presidio Hill. El sitio de reubicación de la misión fue la aldea de Nipaguay. Los Kumiai vivían bajo un complejo sistema de clanes sobrepuestos y aliados que se reunían en momentos difíciles o para hacer defensa común. Los clanes tenían territorios específicos donde cazaban y cosechaban diferentes cosas. Las redes comerciales se extendían hasta el desierto, hacia el norte a los territorios    de los Luiseños, Cahuilas y Cupeños, y hacia el sur a los territorios Pai Pai y Kiliwa.

Las casas redondas llamadas ewaas eran las viviendas más comunes. Por lo general tenían una estructura hecha de sauce y un techo de paja o tule dependiendo de la época del año. Los botes de los Kumiai estaban hechos de cañas amarradas y eran lo suficientemente resistentes en el agua para pescar en las camas de algas marinas lejos de la costa.

Unearthing the Past

Despite the fact that no structures remain of the Royal Presidio of San Diego, it is considered to be the “best preserved” of the four presidio sites in California because of efforts made by George Marston to preserve the grounds and establish Presidio Park in the mid-1920s.

The original buildings began to deteriorate during the Mexican period in the late 1840s and were seldom repaired after the American takeover of California in 1846.

Intermittent burials were made on the grounds and include those of native Kumeyaay.

Since the dedication of the Serra Museum in 1929, interest in the Presidio site and the secrets it holds have been the subject of numerous excavations that take their names from the principal investigators.

  • Paul Ezell
  • Diana Barbolla
  • Brad Bartell
  • Jack Williams

Desenterrando el pasado

A pesar del hecho que no queda ninguna estructura del Presidio Real de San Diego, se considera que es el “mejor preservado” de los cuatro sitios de presidio en California debido a los esfuerzos realizados por George Marston por preservar los terrenos y establecer Presidio Park a mediados de los años veinte.

Los edificios originales comenzaron a deteriorarse durante el periodo mexicano a fines de la década de los cuarenta y rara vez fueron reparados después de la toma del poder por los Estados Unidos en 1846.

Se hicieron entierros intermitentes en los terrenos, incluyendo entierros de los indígenas Kumiai.

Desde la inauguración del Museo Serra en 1929, el interés por el sitio del Presidio y por los secretos que guarda, ha sido tema de numerosas excavaciones que toman su nombre de los investigadores principales:

  • Paul Ezell
  • Diana Barbolla
  • Brad Bartell
  • Jack Williams

Satellite


Satellite image of San Diego Bay and the course of the San Diego River, 2012. United States Department of Agriculture, National Agriculture Imagery Program. Compare and contrast this image and the course of the river to the historic map to your right.

Construction of today’s Mission Valley Shopping Center, 1960. Efforts by environmentalists to set aside Mission Valley as parkland failed when the city approved plans to develop the valley. San Diego History Center Photo Collection 82:13673-1660.

Construcción del actual Centro Comercial de Mission Valley, 1960. Los esfuerzos de los ambientalistas para retener Mission Valley como terrenos para parques fracasaron cuando la ciudad aprobó los planes para desarrollar el valle. Colección Fotográfica del San Diego History Center: 82:13673-1660.

Changes in land use occurred with the construction of the freeway system that spanned Mission Valley. This photo shows lighting of the freeway interchange in 1950. San Diego History Center Photo Collection 2000:56-1856.

Los cambios en el uso de la tierra ocurrieron con la construcción del sistema de carreteras que se extendió hasta Mission Valley. Esta foto muestra la iluminación del intercambio de carreteras en los años cincuenta. Colección Fotográfica del San Diego History Center: 2000:56-1856.

Designed by architect Frank Hope and Associates, San Diego Stadium opened in Mission Valley in 1967. Later renamed San Diego Jack Murphy Stadium to honor the late sportswriter, and then Qualcomm Stadium in 1997. The multipurpose facility has remained a Mission Valley landmark. This photo is from the 1984 World Series. San Diego History Center Photo Collection 1990:47-873.

Diseñado por el arquitecto Frank Hope y Asociados, el Estadio de San Diego se inauguró en Mission Valley en 1967. Más tarde el estadio fue rebautizado con el nombre de Estadio Jack Murphy de San Diego para honrar al reportero de deportes y, posteriormente, tomó el nombre de Estadio Qualcomm en 1997. Estas instalaciones multipropósito permanecen como un punto destacado de Mission Valley. Esta foto es de la Serie Mundial de 1984. Colección Fotográfica del San Diego History Center: 1990: 47-873.

The satellite image below shows the density of development of the San Diego region and the present course of the San Diego River as it enters the Pacific Ocean. The region today is the result of dramatic growth that occurred during and after World War II. The increase in population required a steady supply of water and, with the help of the U.S. Navy, water from the Colorado River was added to supplement the limited local supply. Work on flood control and a new channel entrance to Mission Bay was completed during the early 1950s. Business interests in 1958 challenged greenbelt proponents with plans for the commercial development of Mission Valley.

The U.S. Army Corps of Engineers received government approval during the 1960s for a concrete river channel that was blocked in 1971 by city residents with the slogan, “We don’t want to be like Los Angeles.”

San Diego’s erratic rainfall continues to cause periodic flooding even though prevention measures have been taken during the past fifty years. Efforts have been undertaken to make the river more accessible to the public.

Both the San Diego River Conservancy and the San Diego River Park Foundation are organizations advocating a park-like river system from the mountains to the ocean. In 2013 the City of San Diego approved the San Diego River Park Master Plan. As stated by the Conservancy. “The San Diego River Area is a historical, archeological and biological treasure of statewide significance. The San Diego River area is the ‘Birthplace of California’ and holds the key to the State’s heritage.”

La imagen satelital que se encuentra aquí abajo muestra la densidad del desarrollo de la región de San Diego y el actual curso del Río San Diego en su entrada al Océano Pacífico. La región de hoy día es resultado del dramático crecimiento que ocurrió durante y después de la Segunda Guerra Mundial. El aumento de la población requería de un abasto constante de agua y, con la ayuda de la Marina de los EE.UU., se agregó agua del Río colorado para complementar el limitado abasto local.

Los trabajos de control de inundaciones y de un nuevo canal de entrada a Mission Bay para el río se terminaron a fines de los años cincuenta. En 1958, unos intereses comerciales desafiaron a los proponentes de un cinturón verde con planes para el desarrollo comercial de Mission Valley.

El Cuerpo de Ingenieros del Ejército de los EE.UU. recibió aprobación del gobierno durante la década de los sesenta para construir un canal de concreto para el río que, en 1971 fue bloqueado por los residentes de la ciudad con el eslogan “No queremos ser como Los Ángeles”.

La errática lluvia que cae en San Diego continúa causando inundaciones periódicas a pesar de que se han tomado medidas preventivas en los últimos cincuenta años. Además, se han llevado a cabo esfuerzos para hacer al río más accesible para el público.

Tanto la San Diego River Conservancy como la San Diego River Park Foundation son organizaciones que defienden un sistema de río en forma de parque que abarque desde las montañas hasta el mar. En 2013 la Ciudad de San Diego aprobó el Plan Maestro para el Parque del Río San Diego. Como declara la Conservancy, “El área del Río San Diego es un tesoro histórico, arqueológico y biológico de importancia estatal.  El área del Río San Diego es el ‘Lugar de Origen de California’ y tiene la llave del patrimonio del Estado”.

Presidio

The map below presents one of the early efforts to chart the course of the San Diego River along with San Diego Bay. For centuries, the San Diego River carried mud and debris to the sea, building up a delta to tie Point Loma to the mainland, closing o”ff Mission Bay from San Diego Bay and creating a flat area at the base of Presidio Hill. The river’s depth and width altered with the rainfall as its course wandered between the two bays.

The Kumeyaay lived in villages along its banks, taking advantage of the fish and fresh water. When the Spaniards arrived in May 1769, they found “a good river with sufficient water, but in a few days it ran dry….” In 1774, Mission San Diego de Alcalá was moved six miles east from the Presidio to provide a reliable water supply and to separate the Indians from the soldiers.

The first American efforts to control the direction of the river was to prevent the silting of San Diego Bay by directing the river into Mission Bay. Lt. George Derby of the U.S. Army Corps of Engineers, sent to San Diego in 1853, built the Derby Dike to hold back the natural course of the river. Heavy rains in 1855 broke the dike but a replacement in 1876 turned the river once more into Mission Bay northwest of Presidio Hill, where it remains.

In 1885 the San Diego Flume Company brought water from the upper San Diego River to ensure the city’s water supply. For the next half century, the land along the river was used for farming and grazing as Mission Valley became a pastoral home to many of San Diego’s dairies.

El mapa de abajo presenta uno de los primeros esfuerzos que se llevaron a cabo para trazar la ruta del curso del Río San Diego y de la Bahía de San Diego. Durante siglos, el Río San Diego fue llevando hacia el mar lodo y escombros que levantaron un delta que unió a Point Loma con tierra firme, dejó la False Bay (lo que es hoy día Mission Bay) fuera de la Bahía de San Diego y creó un área plana en la base de Presidio Hill. La profundidad y el ancho del río se alteraban con las lluvias a medida que su curso corría entre las dos bahías.

Los Kumiai vivían en pueblos a lo largo de las orillas del río donde aprovechaban los peces y agua dulce que proveía el río. A su llegada en mayo de 1769, los españoles se encontraron con “un buen río con agua suficiente, pero después de unos días se secó…”. En 1774, la Misión de San Diego de Alcalá se movió seis millas al este del Presidio para proporcionar un abasto confiable de agua y para separar a los indígenas de los soldados.

Los primeros esfuerzos norteamericanos para controlar la dirección del río se hicieron dirigiendo el río hacia Mission Bay para prevenir la obstrucción de la Bahía de San Diego con sedimentos. El Teniente George Derby del Cuerpo de Ingenieros del Ejército de los EE.UU., enviado a San Diego en 1853, construyó el Dique Derby para contener el curso natural del río.

Las fuertes lluvias de 1855 rompieron el dique pero un repuesto que se construyó en 1876 regresó de nuevo el río hacia Mission Bay al noroeste de Presidio Hill, donde permanece hasta ahora.

En 1885 la San Diego Flume Company trajo agua de la parte alta del Río San Diego para asegurar el abasto a la ciudad. Durante los siguientes cincuenta años, los terrenos a lo largo del río fueron utilizados para la agricultura y el pastoreo cuando Mission Bay se fue convirtiendo en la casa pastoral de muchas lecherías de San Diego.

Acknowledgements

Funding for this exhibition is provided by the San Diego River Conservancy and State Coastal Conservancy through Proposition 84 the Safe Drinking Water, Water Quality and Suppy, Flood Control, River and Coastal Protection Bond Act of 2006.

 

 

San Diego River Conservancy:
Benjamin Clay, Chair
Ruth Hayward, Vice Chair
Julia Richards, Executive Officer

Exhibit Design:
C&G Partners

Curator:
Dr. Iris Engstrand, Historian
Michael Connoly Miskwish, Kumeyaay Historian

San Diego History Center:
Thompson Fetter, President
William Lawrence, Executive Director