Steamer arrivals controlled the Fort Yuma stage schedule.
[June 2nd, 1869]
As early as 1869, Concord coaches were in use for the two-day journey to Los Angeles.
[Seeley and Wright]
Opposite page: With its original “El Cajon & Lakeside” lettering – and a load of photogenic passengers – the coach stands at the old Bellevue Hotel. The driver is Jeff Swycaffer, and the time is around 1888. – UNION TITLE INSURANCE CO. HISTORICAL COLLECTION
Plans here and in the following illustration are for a western Concord of about 1890 — almost identical with that at the Serra Museum except for the step, the presence of a lamp, and the double instead of triple ornamental brace-irons on the lower front panel.
By the time it became the “Diamond Tally-Ho” most of the original paint had vanished. – UNION TITLE INSURANCE CO. HISTORICAL COLLECTION
Once more drawn by four horses, the coach makes its last run through San Diego, in 1930. – UNION TITLE INSURANCE CO. HISTORICAL COLLECTION
In its first restoration, a considerable amount of “artistic license” was displayed. – UNION TITLE INSURANCE CO. HISTORICAL COLLECTION
In the midst of the restoration, the cast of the Star Light Opera used the coach in publicity photos for “Annie Get Your Gun”. – THANE MCINTOSH
Opposite page: With nothing left to do but the striping of wheels and under-carriage, and putting in the upholstery, the restoration enters its final stage. -B.L.SHANKLAND