The Journal of San Diego History
SAN DIEGO HISTORICAL SOCIETY QUARTERLY
April 1964, Volume 10, Number 2
Ray Brandes, Editor
That the way might be made easier for historians and students in the years ahead, Winifred Davidson toiled long and cheerfully, delving into books and documents and records, and taking down in shorthand the statements of venerable citizens who formed the last living link with San Diego when it was a cluster of adobes at the foot of Presidio Hill.
Ably assisted by her husband, John Davidson, long-time Director of the Junipero Serra Museum, she typed and pasted and indexed, filling binders and folders with the material from which history is made. The debt to her, of students past, present and future, will never be fulfilled. She is gone — and yet, she still is here. Of greater worth than inscriptions in marble or bronze is her simple epitaph, at the top of countless pages of typescript — “W. DA 1934 Notes” — in the museum’s historical files.