The Old Point Loma Light
July 1, 1967
Page 26. Ashley Thomas McDermott
Page 26. Locations of the six lighthouses provided for in the $90,000 allocation by the U.S. Congress on September 28, 1850.
Page 27. Oldest known photo of the old Pt. Loma Lighthouse; probably about 1865-1870.
Page 27. Range of old Pt. Loma Light, 1855-91.
Page 28. Structural details, old Pt. Loma Light-house (after conversion from fixed light to rotating beacon). Sketch by James Mills.
Page 29. “A fixed white light of the third order of Fresnel.”
Page 29. 1855 sketch by Maj. Boche showing lighthouse perched atop a barren Point Loma. U.S. Coast Guard photo from National Archives.
Page 30. Layout of station grounds, 1882.
Page 31. Lighthouse and outbuildings as they appeared about 1890.
Page 31. The decaying structure as it appeared from about 1905 to 1931.
Page 32. “A one-and-a-half story building with a low tower rising from its center.” This description fits virtually all of the early California lighthouses, as is borne out by this group of sketches. Top left, California’s first light-house, at Alcatraz Island; top right, Point Pinos Light; center right, old Point Loma Light; bottom, Point Conception Light. The latter, like its old Point Loma counterpart, was subsequently relocated on a lower level.
Page 33. Robert Decatur Israel, last keeper of the old Pt. Loma Lighthouse, 1873-1891.
Page 33. Point Loma Light Station.
Page 34. Cabrillo National Monument.