The Journal of San Diego History
SAN DIEGO HISTORICAL SOCIETY QUARTERLY
Fall 1981, Volume 27, Number 4
The tuna clipper Venetian drying bait nets at Magdalena Bay, Baja California, about 1954.
Lunchtime for halibut fishermen in Mexican waters on board the Panama (c. 1918). From left to right: Dominic De Colla, Unknown, Mike Ghio, Michael Ghio, Steve Stagnaro, Barto Stagnaro and Johnny Ghio.
At the helm – Steve Stagnaro on board the Venetian.
Chumming for tuna on board the Venetian.
Venetian‘s fishing platform in heavy weather off Cape San Lazaro, Baja California.
Old Timers: (c. 1956) From left to right: Paul Zuanich, Louie Massa, Jim Oliviera, Tom Carniglia, Steve Stagnaro, Lorenzo Canapa, Augustino Carniglia and Matt Ghio.
Then and now – original Anthony’s Fish Grotto (1946) at 965 West Harbor Drive.
New Anthony’s Fish Grotto (1966) at 1355 North Harbor Drive.
THE PHOTOGRAPHS are courtesy of the author and the Ghio family.