The Journal of San Diego History
SAN DIEGO HISTORICAL SOCIETY QUARTERLY
Fall 1982, Volume 28, Number 4
Thomas Scharf, Managing Editor
El Campo Santo cemetery in Old Town, 1888.
Mt. Hope grave marker for Silas P. St. John by San Diego sculptor Donal Hord.
A horse-drawn hearse with Mt. Hope Cemetery in the background.
A model for the Alpha Port Memorial Fountain, Mt. Hope Cemetery, designed by Irving Gill.
Mission Hills Calvary, c. 1892-98
The dedication of the Bennington Monument, January 7, 1908, Fort Rosecrans National Cemetery.
Cemetery, on a hill, south of Mission San Luis Rey.
The entrance to the cemetery at Mission San Luis Rey displays a skull and cross bones over the gateway.
Monument at Oak Hill Cemetery in Escondido, carved by William Beven before his death.
Grave markers, Santa Ysabel Mission Cemetery
Tanzer Memorial in Greenwood Memorial Park.
The “Angel of Death” at the gravesite (also in Greenwood) of the U.S. Grant Jr. family.
THE PHOTOGRAPHS on pages 270, 273 (bottom), 274, 276 and 277 are from the San Diego Historical Society’s Title Insurance and Trust Collection. All others are courtesy of the author.