by Elizabeth C. MacPhail
The Pavilion at Mission Cliff Gardens, c. 1891. Some visitors called it the “tea garden” because the two story wooden building looked like a Japanese tea house.
Mission Cliff Gardens “lookout,” with its view of Mission Valley.
The Ostrich Farm moved to the Gardens around 1904 and was a highly popular tourist attraction.
Another view of the arbor and “lookout” taken on August 29, 1914. Sitting here one could hear the sounds of dairy cattle mooing and the rattle of milk cans from farms in Mission Valley.
The author stands directly behind the remains of the once water-filled lily pond — one of the few structures still standing to remind visitors of the former park.
THE PHOTOGRAPH on page 303 is courtesy of the author. All others are from the San Diego History Center’s Title Insurance and Trust Collection.