by Elizabeth N. Shor
The campus of Scripps Institution of Oceanography in 1949. The decade of the 1950s marked the real beginning of the Institution’s study of the world’s oceans.
One-half of the fleet in 1948: the new ships Horizon and Crest.
Marine Life Research technicians retrieving a plankton net on a 1948 cruise.
Roger Revelle (foreground) and Robert F. Dill handling a piston corer on Midpac Expedition, 1950
New equipment of the 1950s: Lewis W. Kidd balancing a depressor.
Harris B. Stewart (center) measuring the manganese nodule gathered in hydrogmphic wire on Northern Holiday Expedition.
A myctophid fish.
The haul of a midwater trawl; Carl L. Hubbs handling a specimen.
The weird creature is a snipe-eel, also from a midwater collection.
Conrad Limbaugh, who taught the first scuba classes at Scripps.
Divers exploring off a tropical island during Capricorn Expedition, 1952-53.
The campus of Scripps Institution of Oceanography in 1959.
THE PHOTOGRAPHS are courtesy of Scripps Institution of Oceanography.