The Journal of San Diego History
SAN DIEGO HISTORICAL SOCIETY QUARTERLY
Summer 1984, Volume 30, Number 3
Thomas L. Scharf, Editor
By John C. Brownlee
Copley Books Award, San Diego History Center
1984 Institute of History
Mayor Edwin M. Capps at his desk in 1915. A native of Tennessee, Capps came to San Diego in 1886 and began a career as a civil engineer.
The dredge “Silvergate,” as seen in 1913, was used to improve San Diego’s harbor under the 1911 Harbor Improvement Plan or the “Capp’s Plan”
The Broadway Pier under construction in 1913. [Image 4526-3]
Designed by Capps in 1911, the San Diego City Jail would serve as a model for other city jails throughout California.
Spruce Street Suspension Bridge c. 1915. Built according to plans prepared by Capps, the bridge remains the only suspension foot-bridge in San Diego. The structure is made of iron and rests on concrete pier blocks. [Image 80:2434 — very similar to image in the Journal]
Spruce Street Suspension Bridge
c. 1915. [Image 80:2433]
THE PHOTOGRAPHS are from the San Diego History Center’s Title Insurance and Trust Collection.