The Journal of San Diego History
SAN DIEGO HISTORICAL SOCIETY QUARTERLY
Summer 1984, Volume 30, Number 3
Thomas L. Scharf, Editor
Back to the article: Louis John Gill
Front Cover: A sketch of San Diego architect Louis John Gill who came to the city in 1911 to begin his career. (The inscription reads: “Gill wonders how he can square himself with the S.D. Building Inspector”) Gill has often been overshadowed by the work of his better known uncle, Irving Gill. The article chronicles the work of this equally important San Diego designer. Photo courtesy of the Rev. John Gill and Donald S. Gill.
Louis John Gill at the time of his college graduation in 1911. Photo courtesy of the Rev. John Gill and Donald S. Gill.
Louis J. Gill and his children, c. 1925. Top, clockwise: John, Louis J., Louis D. and Donald. Photo courtesy of the Rev. John Gill and Donald S. Gill.
The Wegeforth house at 210 Maple Street was and early Gill design.
Louis Gill designed the San Diego Zoo bird cage (1937).
Louis Gill designed the County Administration Building with three other San Diego architects (1938).
Louis Gill designed the Sacred Heart Church (1919) in Coronado. Photo courtesy of the author.
A family scrapbook page showing a caricature of Gill in 1932 when he was elected president of the San Diego chapter of the American Institute of Architects. Photo courtesy of the Rev. John Gill and Donald S. Gill.
Louis John Gill c. 1950. The beret was given to him by his son John, following a trip to France. Photo courtesy of the Rev. John Gill and Donald S. Gill.
THE PHOTOGRAPHS are from the San Diego History Center’s Title Insurance and Trust Collection, except as noted.