The Journal of San Diego History
SAN DIEGO HISTORICAL SOCIETY QUARTERLY
Summer 1985, Volume 31, Number 3
Thomas Scharf, Managing Editor
Back to the article: La Jolla Hermosa
Construction workers at the La Jolla Hermosa tract, c. 1927. The building in the background is the San Darlos ralway Station — part of the San Diego Electric Railway. Today this structure has been remodeled into the La Jolla Methodist Church.
Two views of home construction sites in the La Jolla Hermosa subdivision during the late 1920s.
Ocean front lots, which averaged 75 by 150 feet in size, could be purchased for approximately $2,000. There were some building restrictions including style of the house and its cost — generally not less than $8,000.
Construction of the Adams House, in stone, c. 1927. Many well-known architects like Thomas Shepherd, Edgar Ullrich and Clifford May left their mark on La Jolla Hermosa.
Only the best amenities — 4-inch concrete paved roads and alleys, carefully planted palm trees — contributed to the tract’s excellent reputation.
A much later view of La Jolla Hermosa about 1950.