Cover: Frank G. Belcher, President of the Board of the 1935 California-Pacific International Exposition Company, displays the symbol of San Diego’s “America’s Exposition.” Behind a Spanish dancer with castanets is part of … the tower and dome of the present Palace of Science (now Museum of Man), plants, clouds, and vigorous radiating lines depicting a sunrise (or sunset). Belcher stands near columns of Food & Beverages building.
Back Cover: Spectacular lighting of the 1935 exposition buildings and landscape is vivid in the memory of San Diegans who were freequent visitors to the fair. Shown here are reflecting pools on the north and south side of the Arch of the Future which spanned the main east-west street—now called El Prado. To the left is the Organ Pavilion.
People lining up to enter San Diego’s 1935 California-Pacific International Exposition.
Buildings at the exposition: left, the Federal Building.
Water Palace and its fountains and pools.
Ford Building with the Firestone Fountain.
The Standard Oil Tower of the Sun soared 108 feet into the air and featured Art Deco ornamentation.
Le Moulin Rouge, “Adults Only” was popular entertainment for many exposition visitors.
The famous evangelist Aimee Semple McPherson visited the fair in July of 1935.
The birth of San Diego’s famed Old Globe Theatre took place on May 29 of the same year.
THE PHOTOGRAPHS are from the San Diego History Center’s Title Insurance and Trust Collection.