The Journal of San Diego History
SAN DIEGO HISTORICAL SOCIETY QUARTERLY
Winter 1986, Volume 32, Number 1
Thomas L. Scharf, Editor
Back to the article: The Changing Face of Mission San Diego
Painting of Mission San Diego de Alcala (c. 1859s) by H.M.T. Powell. Journal cover shown above is a detail from this painting.
1860 plat of Mission San Diego showing location of cemetery at the upper right.
Sketch plan of Mission San Diego drawn by Henry L. Oak in 1874.
A plan of the Mission from the Mexican period.
Drawing of Mission San Diego in 1850 by H.M.T. Powell.
Drawing of Mission San Diego in 1850 by H.M.T. Powell purchased by Cave J. Couts who substituted his signature and added a false date.
Drawing of Mission San Diego by Heinrich Mollhausen for the lithographs which were published in the Railroad Surveys of 1853.
Detail of a drawing of Mission San Diego in July 1856 by Burch McMurtrie.
Mission San Diego in 1874 with the room between the buttresses still intact.
Facade of the church of Mission San Diego around 1910 with only a trace, at left, of the rooms in front.
Model of Mission San Diego made between 1940-1941 under the supervision of Edith Webb.
Example of architecture found in Mexico: Huejotzingo, north door of the 16th century Franciscan church showing a typical alfiz.
Example of architecture found in Mexico: Guadalajara, side door of the 18th century chapel of the Virgin of Aranzazu showing a niche between the door and window.
Author’s suggested restoration of the church of Mission San Diego de Alcala.