The Journal of San Diego History
SAN DIEGO HISTORICAL SOCIETY QUARTERLY
Summer 1986, Volume 32, Number 3
Thomas L. Scharf, Editor
Painting Ladies ~ The Artists ~ The Images
b. Beaver Dam, Wisconsin October 17, 1876
d. La Cresta, California April 1, 1944
b. Deansville, Wisconsin June 5, 1873
d. La Mesa, California June 23, 1947
The daughters of John and Sarah (Clark) Kenyon, artist sisters Zula and Haidee Kenyon apparently moved to San Diego in the 1920s. Although she is first listed in 1923, Zula may have been here as early as 1918.
Haidee was a teacher in the Chicago public schools, and joined her sister in 1926. Zula did not exhibit much locally, but her work was often reproduced for calendars. A member of the San Diego Art Guild, Haidee exhibited locally in the 1920s and 1930s. The sisters were also known for their extensive gardens off Nutmeg Street, just east of Balboa Park. In the early 1940s, they moved to La Cresta near El Cajon.
(Ref. Moure; SDU 7-1-34 115:1, 4-2-44 C4:4, 6-24-47 10:3)