The Journal of San Diego History
SAN DIEGO HISTORICAL SOCIETY QUARTERLY
Summer 1986, Volume 32, Number 3
Thomas L. Scharf, Editor
Painting Ladies ~ The Artists ~ The Images
b. Chattanooga, Tennessee August 30, 1906 (currently residing in Townsend, Montana)
After a brief period in the Los Angeles area, Betty Shropshire moved to San Diego with her family in 1916. She took art instruction from the San Diego Academy of Fine Arts under Eugene De Vol and Otto H. Schneider from 1926 to 1929. While at the Academy she met John L. Stoner, and together they operated a commercial art business called the Graphic Studio beginning in the late 1920s. John and Betty were married in May of 1930, and together they traveled and painted in the western states and Baja California, and often exhibited in the 1930S and 1940S. Betty was also a skilled linoleum block artist and exhibited a block print at the California Pacific International Exposition in 1935. After obtaining a divorce in 1945, Betty remained in San Diego until 1950 when she moved to the Julian area. She owned and operated the Apple Mountain Gift Shop in Wynola where she displayed some of her work, as well as that of John whom she remarried in 1968. John died in 1976, and two years later Betty retired to Montana.
(Ref. SDET 34-39 4:6-7)