b. near Decorah, Iowa March 29, 1855
d. Berkeley, California January 19, 1946
Moving to California with her family as a child, Edith was later graduated from Mills College in Oakland and studied at the San Francisco School of Design. In 1882, she opened a studio in Los Angeles, moving ten years later to New York for further study at the Art Students’ League. Returning to California in 1893, she opened a studio in Pasadena. While in Pasadena, she became a member of the Theosophical Society in 1897. Her interest in Theosophy caused her to move to the Point Loma in 1902, where she became the society headquarters on principal instructor of art at the Raja Yoga Academy until she returned to the San Francisco Bay area in 1930. Her specialty was painting roses.
(Ref. JSDH Vol. XXVI, No. 4 pp. 248-49; Moure)