October 1, 1988
- San Diego and the Gilded Age: The Efforts to Bring the Texas and Pacific Ralroad to San Diego.
- By Rickey D. Best
- San Diego’s Gardening Heritage: The Cultivation of Paradise on Earth.
- Forgotten Sentinel on Marston Point: The History of the San Diego Fire Alarm Communications Building.
- By Alex Bevil
- Law and Community on the Mexican California Frontier: Anglo-Ameican Expatiriates and the Clash of Legal Traditions, 1821-1846.
- By David J. Langum. Reviewed by Clare V. McKanna.
- An Embarrassment of Riches: The Administrative History of Cabrillo National Monument.
- By Susan Collins Lehmann. Reviewed by Douglas H. Strong.
- A Disorderly House: The Brown – Unruh Years in Sacramento.
- By James R. Mills. Reviewed by Jackson K. Putnam.
- Junipero Serra’s Legacy.
- By Martin Morgado. Reviewed by Eleanor A Neely.
- The Journey of Fray Marcos de Niza.
- By Cleve Hallenbeck.
- Jessie Benton Fremont: A Biography.
- By Pamela Herra.
- Report on the United States and Mexican Boundary Survey.
- By William H Emory.
- Gaspar de Portola: Explorer and Founder of California.
- By F. Boneau Companys. Translated and revised by Alan K. Brown
- The Presidio and Militia on the Northern Frontier of New Spain: A Documentary History, Volume One: 1570-1700.
- Edited by Thomas H. Naylor and Charles W. Polzer.
- The Making of Urban America.
- Edited by Raymond A. Mohl.
- Mexican American Biographies: A Historical Dictionary, 1836-1987.
- By Matt S. Meier.
- Public Places: Exploring their History.
- By Gerald A. Danzer.
- Early Days of Santa Barbara, California.
- By Walter A. Hawley.