The Journal of San Diego History
SAN DIEGO HISTORICAL SOCIETY QUARTERLY
Winter 1990, Volume 36, Number 1
Thomas L. Scharf, Editor
Back to the article: San Diegans, Inc.
A portion of downtown San Diego, c. 1950s. (Broadway runs left to right two blocks up from bottom). By this time much of downtown had been abandoned in favor of the suburbs.
The Spreckels Building, 1930s. Upon its completion in 1927, the building reflected the prosperous times San Diego had experienced in the first quarter of the twentieth century.
Horton Plaza, 1943.
City Councilmember Frank Curan lent a listening ear to the San Diego Downtown Association and directed it in getting support from city government.
San Diego Mayor Charles C. Dail (1995-1963) would later be credited, along with others, in changing the face of downtown.
San Diego in the late 1950s. In just four years, from the time of its inception in 1959 to the time San Diego won the All-American City Award, San Diegans, Inc. had become the stimulus that sparked the recovery of Centre City.