The Journal of San Diego History
SAN DIEGO HISTORICAL SOCIETY QUARTERLY
Winter 1992, Volume 38, Number 1
Richard W. Crawford, Editor
Cover: “The Dictator” starring Wallace Reed, was filmed by Paramount in 1922. Photo courtesy of Motion Picture Arts and Sciences.
Back Cover: Roscoe “Fatty” Arbuckle’s one-reeler, “Fatty at San Diego,” was produced in 1913 by the Keystone Film Company. Photo courtesy of Motion Picture Arts and Sciences.
Director Allan Dwan in the 1910s.
Director Allan Dwan found movie extras by placing this advertisement in the San Diego Union.
Pollard Picture Plays Company based their operations in Balboa Park in 1916.
The Plaza de Panama and the Sacramento Valley Building was the set for “The Americano” in 1917.
Albert S. Hill, as secretary for the Park Board, authorized the use city park lands for shooting motion pictures.
In 1925, Warner Bros. Pictures requested permission to use Balboa Park for filming a John Barrymore epic of revolutionary Mexico.
The set of “Maggie’s Honest Lover,” Nestor Comedy Company, c. 1919.
Orson Welles used Balboa Park for exterior shots of “Xanadu” in his 1942dassic, “Citizen Kane.”
The interior of the Federal Building was the stage for Mickey Rooney in “The Fireball,”20th Century-Fox, 1950.
“The Magnificent Fraud,” was produced by Paramount in 1939.