- Burlingame: The Tract of Character 1912-1914
- By Donald Covington
- The Zest for Learning: Founding and Early Years of Francis Parker School
- By Ethel Mintzer Lichtman
- A Preliminary Checklist of Masters’ Theses and Doctoral Dissertations on the History of San Diego
- Compiled by James D. Newland
- Thomas O. Larkin: A Life of Patriotism and Profit in Old California.
- By Harlan Hague and David J. Langum. Reviewed by Stephen A. Colston.
- In the Floating Army: F. C. Mills on Itinerant Life in California, 1914.
- By Gregory R. Woirol. Reviewed by William Earl Weeks.
- Madame Ernestine Schumann-Heink; Her Life and Times.
- By Joseph L. Howard. Reviewed by Evelyn Kooperman.
- 100 Years of Art in San Diego: Selections from the Collection of the San Diego History Center.
- By Bruce Kamerling. Reviewed by Janet Brody Esser.
- The Disappearing Border: Mexico-United States Relations to the 1990s.
- By Clint E. Smith. Reviewed by James R. Mills.
- Love and War: Pearl Harbor Through V-J Day.
- By Robert and Jane Easton. Reviewed by Francis N. Stites.
- Ethnology of the Alta California Indians. Vol. II.
- Edited by Lowell John Bean and Sylvia Brakke Vane. Reviewed by Ronald J. Quinn.
- Bonanza Rich: Lifestyles of the Western Mining Entrepreneurs.
- By Richard H. Peterson. Reviewed by R Kenneth N. Owens.
- Knights of the Green Cloth: The Saga of Frontier Gamblers.
- By Robert K. De Arment.
- Local History and Genealogy Resources of the California State Library.
- Edited by Gary E. Strong.
- San Diego: Gateway to the Pacific: A Christopher Columbus Quincentennial Commemorative.
- By Iris H. W. Engstrand.
- The Last Conquistador: Juan de Onate and the Settling of the Far Southwest.
- By Marc Simmons
- Changing Boundaries in the Americas: New Perspectives on the U.S.Mexican, Central American, and South American Borders.
- Edited by Lawrence A. Herzog.
- Campaigning With King: Charles King, Chronicler of the Old Army.
- Edited by Paul L. Hedren.
- The Dawn of the World: Myths and Tales of the Miwok Indians of California.
- Edited by C. Hart Merriam.
This issue of the Journal was proofread by Lisa Tuthill.