The Journal of San Diego History
SAN DIEGO HISTORICAL SOCIETY QUARTERLY
Winter 1996, Volume 42, Number 1
Richard W. Crawford, Editor
Page 332: Frank P. Allen at the time of the 1915 Panama-California Exposition.
Page 344: The buildings and gardens of the Panama-California Exposition, seen from a balloon.
Page 336: Cabrillo Bridge and Lily Pond (today’s Highway 163) in 1928.
Page 337: Montezuma Gardens, ca. 1915.
Page 338: The decorative Sacramento Building, located on the site of today’s San Diego Museum of Art.
Page 339: The Canadian Building, connecting arcade, and the Laguna de las Flores, in 1915.
Page 339: Leap Year Court, exhibiting Allen’s Doric-style columns, was located in the Jardin de las Flores, just west of the Botanical Building.
Page 340: The Botanical Building or “Lath House” in 1915.
Page 341: Allen’s San Joaquin Valley Building held a prominent position on the east side of the Esplanade.
Page 341: Overview of the Panama-California Exposition, showing the layout of the Prado and Esplanade areas.
Page 342-343: Construction of the Panama-California Exposition along El Prado, looking east, 1914.
Page 345: Sketch of the proposed Maryland Hotel, financed by the Sefton Investment Company, 1913.
Page 345: Garden view of Col. J. H. Pendleton’s residence in Coronado, 1916.
Page 346: W. S. and R. E. Vandruff Estate, ca. 1917. The residence was later incorporated into the Academy of Our Lady of Peace.
Page 348: The stately Park Manor Hotel, built in 1925, stands at the corner of 6th Avenue and Spruce Street. Photo taken in 1927.
Page 349: The First Trust and Savings Bank, designed by Allen in 1926, was located in East San Diego on the corner of University and Fairmount.
Page 350: Allen’s 1927 design for the Cuyamaca Club, proposed for the corner of 2nd Avenue and A Street.
Page 351: The Original French Laundry, built in 1927, was located on the north side of University Avenue at l0th Street.
Page 351: Hamilton’s, erected in 1928, still stands (with alterations) on the corner of 7th Avenue and C Street.
Page 352: Allen’s Whitney and Company Building, built in 1928, was located on Fourth and Fifth Avenues between B and C Streets.
Page 353: The Federal Truck Building, built in 1931, won an A.I.A. award in 1933 for its “good example of brilliant color on strong structural design in concrete.”