The Journal of San Diego History
SAN DIEGO HISTORICAL SOCIETY QUARTERLY
Fall 1997, Volume 43, Number 4
Richard W. Crawford, Editor
- A Significant Sentence Upon the Earth: Irving J. Gill, Progressive Architect, Part I
- By Sarah J. Schaffer
- Joseph Snook: English Mariner, California Don
- By Ruth Collings
- Justice Stephen Field: Shaping Liberty from the Gold Rush to the Gilded Age
- By Paul Kens. Reviewed by Nicholas J. Aieta.
- The Occupation of Alcatraz Island: Indian Self-Determination and the Rise of Indian Activism.
- By Troy R. Johnson. Reviewed by Susan A. Miller.
- Geography, Environment, and American Law.
- By Gary L. Thompson, Reviewed by Philip R. Pryde.
- Building the Ultimate Dam: John S. Eastwood and the Control of Water in the West.
- By Donald C. Jackson. Reviewed by Daniel Tyler.
- Bottled Poetry: Napa Winemaking from Prohibition to the Modern Era.
- By James T. Lapsley. Reviewed by Stanley Pincetl.
- Lewis Cass and the Politics of Moderation.
- By Willard Carl Klunder. Reviewed by Ronald J. Quinn.
- Frontiers of Historical Imagination: Narrating the European Conquest of Native America, 1890-1990.
- By Kerwin L. Klein. Reviewed by James O. Gump.