The Journal of San Diego History
Fall 2000, Volume 46, Number 4
Gregg Hennessey, Editor

Back to the article: Photographic Essay of Hillcrest

Hillcrest cover photo


A Hillcrest Evening, 2001.
Journal cover photo by Chris Travers.
Copyright Shadowbox Studio
[photo# 2000/100.17]


[Shop window]
Copyright ShadowBox Studio.

Hillcrest tract office
A 1904 photograph shows early development three years before William Whitson bought forty acres between First and Sixth Avenues and created Hillcrest.
[photo# 668]

Florence School
The Florence School assembles its staff and student body for a 1909 portrait.
[photo# 48]

Park and Robinson
A busy Park and Robinson intersection in the 1920s.
[photo# Sensor 8-125]

St. Joseph's Hospital
St Joseph’s Hospital at 6th and University.
[photo# 10906]

Hillcrest fire station
The Hillcrest fire station and San Diego’s first African American fire fighters.
[photo# 84-14866]

5th and University
In the 1920s the intersection of 5th and University anchored two banks.
[photo# Sensor 8-205]

San Diego Electric Railway
A San Diego Electric Railway stop at Cleveland and University in 1926.
[photo# 14017]

Fifth Avenue Auto Wash
The Fifth Avenue Auto Wash in 1928 with the State Normal School dome in the background.
[photo# 6726]

Fifth Avenue
Fifth Avenue loking north across Robinson in 1929.
[photo# 6853]

Aerial view of Hillcrest
Aerial view of Hillcrest with Balboa Park in the upper right on April 25, 1928.
[photo# 20253-A-31]

Castle on 5th and Juniper
The grey stone Castle on 5th and Juniper in 1918.
[photo# 4586-1]

1895 mansion
This is a ca. 1895 mansion and part of its extensive grounds.
[photo# 22314]

6th and Olive in the 1920s.
[photo# 8159]

Egyptian Court Apartments
Egyptian Court Apartments on Park Blvd in the 1920s.
[photo# Sensor 62-29]

Marston Hills
Marston Hills, near Balboa Park, in 1924.
[photo# 2089-3]

Park and University
The intersection of Park and University was busy in 1932.
[photo# 18018]

Fox Egytian Theatre
The Fox Egytian Theatre (now the closed Park Theater) on Park near University in August of 1938.
[photo# 18018-15]

Park and University
Ralph Elm’s new service station opened in 1938 at Park and University.
[photo# 18018-14]

Fifth and University
1939/40 at Fifth and University.
[photo# Sensor 11-161]

10th and University
10th and University in 1940.
[photo# Sensor 8-297]

Hillcrest in 1945
This aerial view of Hillcrest was taken in 1945.
[photo# OP 6464]

Washington and 8th Street
Washington and 8th Street in February 1957Hillcrest.
[photo# 80-7075]

8th and University in 1962
Stan’s Burger Bar and Burnett’s Furniture were anchoring the corners at 8th and University in 1962.
[photo# OP 16446-3]

Hillcrest 1990
The center of Hillcrest in 1990.
[photo# 95-19390]

Hillcrest in 2000
The center of Hillcrest in 2000.
Copyright Shadowbox Studio.

Uptown District
The Uptown District today, site of the old Sears store.
Copyright Anne Garrison/David Hewitt.

Uptown has the quintessential coffee emporium of late 20th century renewal projects.
Copyright Shadowbox Studio.

Ace Hardware Store   Flame nightclub
The Ace Hardware Store and the Flame nightclub are Hillcrest institutions.
Copyright Shadowbox Studio.