Back to the Article

Dr. David Gochenauer

Page 281. Dr. David Gochenauer was the principal author of the First Annual Report of the Board of Health. He was San Diego’s Health Officer from June 1888 to December 1889 and practiced medicine in San Diego until the day of his death in 1917. 14638

Downtown San Diego

Page 282. Looking north from Fifth and I streets in 1887. Downtown San Diego streets were busy at the height of the Great Boom. Note the two horse-drawn trolleys near the center and a large pile of what is probably manure on the street between the barrels at right. 1441 Detail

Downtown San Diego

Page 283. Wagons loading at the foot of Fifth near the Pacific Mail Steamship Company’s wharf, formerly Horton’s wharf, looking north from L Street, ca. 1887. Horses pulling streetcars, wagons, carriages and buggies were responsible for depositing tons of manure every day on San Diego’s dirt streets. 2982

San Diego Pharmacy

Page 283. San Diego Pharmacy, at the corner of 5th and D Streets, Carey W. Thompson proprietor. In this 1887 photo, a sign on the front door announces the availability of ice cream. 1403 Detail

Dr. George H. Schmitt's Dispensary

Page 284. Dr. George H. Schmitt’s Dispensary at 953 Fourth was completed in 1888. FEP830

Drilling for water at Coronado

Page 285. Drilling a well for water at Coronado. Well water was becoming more polluted and its supply was not adequate for San Diego’s growing population during the Boom. San Diego turned its attention to mountain streams for a more reliable source of water. Photograph by J.A. Sherriff, 1886. 1603

Horse-drawn water wagon at Tasker & Hoke

Page 285. Horse-drawn water wagon at Tasker & Hoke, an early San Diego water well at the southwest corner of First and B Streets. 81:9708

Thomas C. Stockton

Page 285. Dr. Thomas C. Stockton came to San Diego in 1869, a native of New Brunswick, Canada. He attended Harvard Medical School and graduated from New York City’s Bellevue Hospital Medical College in 1866. He was one of the organizers of San Diego County Medical Society in 1870 and was president of San Diego’s Board of Health at the time of the publication of the 1888 Health Department Report. He served as County Coroner from 1876-1877 and 1879-1884 and was Public Administrator from 1880-1883. OP17133-series.

Board of Health Minutes

Page 287. The Board of Health Minutes from 1876 to 1906 were handwritten in this book, now in the San Diego State University Special Collections Library. Photograph courtesy of the author.

Agnew Sanitarium and Hospital

Page 287. Agnew Sanitarium and Hospital at 5th and Beech streets, seen here in 1914, was built in 1900 by Dr. David Gochenauer and Charles Lehman. 4891

Smallpox victim

Page 289. Smallpox visited San Diego several times during the nineteenth century. The afflicted were isolated either at home or in the local “pest-house.” Those who survived were usually disfigured with deep scars. 18258-8.

Milk wagon of W.B. Hage Creamery

Page 290. Milk wagon in front of the W.B. Hage Creamery in 1895. Dr. Gochenauer instructed local dairymen on keeping their milk safe for human consumption. Commercial pasteurizing machines did not become available until 1895. The first compulsory pasteurization law was in Chicago in 1908. 13216 Detail

Allison Brothers Wholesale and Retail Butchers

Page 295. Butchers display carcasses and tools of their trade in front of Allison Brothers Wholesale and Retail Butchers, ca. 1888. 13596 Detail

Model Bath House

Page 303. The Model Bath House, formerly the Sixth Street Bath House, was located at the foot of Sixth Street. “Within Half a Block of the Cable Cars Terminus. Hot and Cold Salt Water Tub Baths. Plunge Baths. This is the only Bath House in the City that has Sheet Metal Tubs, and a Warm, Salt Water Swimming Tank and fresh water shower. Polite and Respectful Attention. Everything First Class, Neat and Clean. Tickets 3 for 50 cents. Children under 12, 10 cents. Henry Walker, Proprietor.” FEP641

Flume construction

Page 3232-1. San Diego Flume construction, ca. 1888. The 35-mile long wooden flume, six feet wide, sixteen inches deep and lined with redwood, was built to carry water from the newly created Cuyamaca reservoir to San Diego. 3232-1

Hotel del Coronado

Page 307. The opening of the Hotel del Coronado marked the pinnacle of the boom years. Shortly before it opened, a special train left Chicago on December 7, 1887, with an operating staff of 324 for the hotel. Although construction had not yet been completed, the hotel held a partial opening on January 29, 1888. 168549

Ad from The Golden Era

Page 309. A mother unable to nurse her child was rightly fearful of the disease known as Cholera infantum, or the “summer diarrhea of children.” The disease caused rapid dehydration in recently-weaned infants. Frequently fatal, the cause of Cholera infantum remains unknown today. It might have been an infectious disease acquired from cows’ milk. Ad from The Golden Era, February, 1888.

Page 313. Burial service at Mount Hope Cemetery, ca. 1890. Mount Hope Cemetery was founded in 1871. 1382

Hart Hook & Ladder Company ladder wagon

Page 323. This ladder wagon was made by Preston, a Chicago based builder of ladder wagons, and belonged to the Hart Hook & Ladder Company of San Diego’s volunteer Fire Department in 1887. Besides carrying ladders, the rig has a chemical tank, which could deliver about 30 gallons of water onto a fire as soon as it arrived. A chemical tank contained a mixture of water and sodium bicarbonate, with a bottle of sulfuric acid suspended in the tank. After arriving at a fire, this bottle was broken or upended, depending on the manufacturer. The mixture of soda, acid and water created carbon dioxide gas, which could expel the water from the tank through a small hose. The ropes dangling from the front and the rope reels attached to the front axle indicate that the rig could be pulled by hand, but the driver’s seat and the rear wheel brakes suggest that it could also have been pulled by horses. 2996

Fire Station

Page 324. Fire Station Number 1, ca. 1888, Third Street between D and E Streets.

Electric arc-light mast

Page 325. Electric arc-light mast at 5th and F Streets. San Diego’s first electric street lights were carbon arc lamps atop 110 to 125 foot masts. The Jenney Electric Company installed the first electric plant in San Diego, beginning operations in March 1886. Photo by J.A. Sherriff, ca. 1888. 3356

Librarian Lulu Younkin

Page 327. The first San Diego Public Library opened in 1883 on the second floor of the Consolidated National Bank Building. Miss Lulu Younkin was hired as librarian in 1887 and the library moved to the new fourth floor in 1889 after two additional floors had been added to the building. Younkin authored a 212-page Catalogue of the San Diego Free Public Library in 1889. Image courtesy of the San Diego Public Library.

Hotel del Coronado Ad

Page 335. The Hotel del Coronado promoted itself “as a real sanitarium” and touted its Natural Mineral Water as an “Elixer of Life.” Analysis of this water showed that the content compared favorably to the famed water of Waukesha, Wisconsin, that brought the rich, famous, and thousands of other health seekers to that city’s hotels to drink the healing waters. Ad from The Golden Era, February 1890.

Sweetwater Dam celebration

Page 336. The completion of the Sweetwater Dam in March of 1888 was followed by a celebration on April 19, when the first water in the reservoir was turned into the mains. More than 3000 persons took part in a Water Festival at National City. The City Guard Band played and there were many speeches. 7689

Ad from The Golden Era

Page 337. The small print at the bottom of this ad states that Wilbor’s Compound “throws off scrofulous humors.” Scrofula was a form of tuberculosis in children. Advertisement from The Golden Era magazine, December, 1888.

Witherby and Johnson Undertakers

Page 337. Witherby and Johnson Undertakers and Embalmers, 907 Plaza. Pearl Johnson is on the left. Photograph by J.A. Sherriff, 1887. 1406.

San Diego waterfront

Page 339. San Diego waterfront, 1888. 483.

Coal wagons

Page 340. Wellington Coal wagons in the yard of Pacific Wood and Coal Company, Union and F Streets. Photograph by J.A. Sherriff. 1369.

Florence Hotel

Page 341. The Florence Hotel was San Diego’s finest before the opening of the Hotel del Coronado in 1888. Located in Florence Heights on Fir Street between 3rd and 4th, the hotel offered views overlooking the bay. Photograph by J.A. Sherriff. 2867-c.

Electric Railway car

Page 342. Electric Railway car, 1889. San Diego had 42 miles of street railways in place for steam, electric and horse-drawn cars in 1888. The cable railway took over the franchise of an unsuccessful electric line in 1889. Photograph by J.A. Sherriff, 1889. 7821-a.

San Diego Gas Works

Page 343. San Diego Gas Works at foot of 10th Street and Imperial. Photograph by J.A. Sherriff, 1880s. 6203

Crowd gathered at the Post Office

Page . Crowd gathered at the Post Office, adjacent to the San Diego Union and Bee offices and the W.C. Ervin Groceries on the corner of Sixth and F Streets, 1887. Just above the San Diego Union sign, there is a small sign in the second floor corner window that reads “Dr. Davy.” Davy was the physician proposed as Health Officer by the Board of Health in June, 1888. 1808.