Translated and Edited by Rose Marie Beebe and Robert Senkewicz
Edward H. Davis
National Register of Historic Places United States Department of the Interior
Ernie B. Liwag
Publication of The Journal of San Diego History is underwritten by a major grant from the Quest for Truth Foundation, established by the late James G. Scripps. Additional support is provided by “The Journal of San Diego History Fund” of the San Diego Foundation and private donors.
Front Cover: Statue of Father Serra with a Juaneño Indian boy in front of the Convent of San Francisco, Palma de Mallorca, Spain.
Back Cover: Detail from the altar in the Convent of San Bernardino, Petra, Mallorca, Spain.
The San Diego History Center is a museum, education center, and research library founded as the San Diego Historical Society in 1928. Its activities are supported by: the City of San Diego’s Commission for Arts and Culture; the County of San Diego; individuals; foundations; corporations; fund raising events; membership dues; admissions; shop sales; and rights and reproduction fees.
Articles appearing in The Journal of San Diego History are abstracted and indexed in Historical Abstracts and America: History and Life.
The paper in the publication meets the minimum requirements of American National Standard for Information Science-Permanence of Paper for Printed Library Materials, ANSI Z39.48-1984.
All material in the print and on-line versions of The Journal of San Diego History is protected by copyright, © San Diego History Center.